[Vision2020] US to blame for massacre: Allawi

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt at moscow.com
Tue Oct 26 12:55:08 PDT 2004

All,

There is a little different slant to the news coming from down under. (Australia) Notice it is already tomorrow there!

Dick Schmidt

US to blame for massacre: Allawi
>From correspondents in Baghdad, Iraq
October 27, 2004

IRAQI Prime Minister Iyad Allawi today blamed "gross negligence" by some elements of the US-led military in Iraq for the slaying of 49 unarmed army recruits and three drivers on Saturday.

"I think it was because of gross negligence by some elements within the multinational forces," Mr Allawi told the country's interim parliament, without giving details.

"The killings represent the epitome of what could be done to hurt Iraq and the Iraqi people," he said.

An investigation into the deaths had been launched.

He characterised as a "dangerous precedent" the ambush and killing of army basic-training graduates as they were on their way from the Kirkush base near the Iranian border to their homes in the south.

Accusations were flying about how the recruits had been left defenceless in the windswept desert plain, cut off from all communication.
Nassir al-Shadershi, a member of parliament, had earlier accused authorities of failing in "their obligation to protect our own security forces".

The chief spokesman for US-led foreign troops in Iraq, Brigadier General Erv Lessel, was not available for comment on Mr Allawi's remarks.

One of his aides said: "Obviously the training of Iraq's security forces is critical, so we will continue our partnership with the Iraqi government to mature the ICF (Iraqi security forces)."

The US 1st Infantry Division commands the area where the corpses of the soldiers were discovered on the road between Baladruz and Badra, south of Baquba, a town 60km north-east of Baghdad.

The US military has been leading the effort in training Iraq's nascent police, army and national guard at bases like Kirkush near the eastern city of Mandali.

But problems ranging from loyalty to lack of proper body armour and to badly protected vehicles continue to plague the force.

And incidents like the soldier massacre has brought to the forefront the danger that Iraq's forces may have been infiltrated by insurgents.

Before Mr Allawi addressed parliament, Interior Minister Falah Naqib spoke of the challenges facing Iraq's forces, alluding to the risk that some of them may be prone to bribes given the difficult economic conditions facing the country.

"Our forces are ill-equipped and poorly trained to tackle terrorism," he said.

"We have information that men (some members of the security forces) get $US500 ($669) for carrying out one operation and that an additional bonus is paid if a policeman or national guard is killed in the attack."

Agence France-Presse