[Vision2020] The so-called debates

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Mon Oct 25 12:14:39 PDT 2004

I appreciate the spirit of John Danahy's posting, below, but I need to address the following point on behalf of the MCA:

The MCA has no intention of endorsing any candidates in the upcoming election.  We made a decision last spring not to take positions in this year's partisan elections.

In non-partisan City Council races last year, the MCA did endorse candidates.  Until very recently, our web site stated that our committee on elections and debates was interested in "supporting and electing" candidates in the city and the county who were in accord with our "mission statement."

The MCA mission statement, reprinted in full below, states that our vision is of a community of "strong, non-partisan grassroots democracy."  In line with that mission, we sought this fall to encourage community discourse and encouraged people of all political persuasions to attend the MCA debates and ask questions.  Consistency to the non-partisan goal in our mission statement led us to our decision last spring that we would not take a position on the partisan county and state representative races in the primary then, and the general election this fall.  We took no positions on any partisan race, then or now, contrary to some postings that have made their way onto Vision2020.

The mission of the Moscow Civic Association is to protect and enhance inclusive and cooperative community values by broadening public discourse, organizing and inspiring civic participation, and striving toward progressive and sustainable community development.
Our vision is of a just and equitable society, a community in which information on important issues is readily available to the citizenry, a place of strong, non-partisan grassroots democracy.

Specifically, we strive to support and/or promote a thriving community space with:

  a.. An open, responsive, and accountable local government
  b.. A vigorous public education system
  c.. Local community-based businesses
  d.. Artistic and cultural events
  e.. Ethnic, racial, gender, lifestyle, and religious diversity Civil rights
  f.. An integrated community for people of all ages
  g.. Close relations and coordination with neighboring communities and institutions
  h.. Thoughtful and sustainable development in such areas as environment, transportation, housing, and agriculture.

Bruce Livingston
Moscow Civic Association
Committe on Elections and Debates