[Vision2020] What Republicans Believe

Mike Weatherford fueledbyramen at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 23 14:34:16 PDT 2004

Pat,

  While I appreciate your wish to have educated voters, there is a problem
with your idea. See, I am currently 19 years old. I have been paying taxes
on my paycheques since I was 16. I was only able to vote after I turned 18.
This offended me. I was a tax-paying citizen starting at age 16. And I, with
no say in my representation, simply forked it over.

  I don't have any problem paying taxes. They are a necessary evil. But I
have a problem not being allowed to vote on how my money is spent, even in
an indirect fashion. At age 16, I was old enough to drive, to work, to give
blood, even, had my parents not been the loving and understanding people
they were(and are), to sue them for separation and find my own place to
live. But I could not vote.

  The voting age used to be 21. Were that still the case, things would
change slightly. I still wouldn't be allowed to vote. I am old enough to
smoke, attend college, live wherever I chose, and, should it become an
issue, die for my country. I can own a gun. But I wouldn't be able to vote.
Dropping the voting age to 18 was a good thing, in my opinion. Why?

  Your argument that people should not be allowed to vote until they are 30
and/or well educated does not hold water. Being 30 does not make someone
smarter than me. I knew people in western washington who were 30 when I was
16, and I was far and away the smarter individual between the two of us. I
know people who are retirement age, and I cringe every time I think of them
casting a vote. Being well-educated is a step in the right direction. But
how shall we enforce that? High school transcripts? College transcripts? A
test at the polls? Perhaps that would be the best solution - we can make
prospective voters take a test a the polls. Of course, in order to prevent
unfair disenfranchisement after the fact, we could make it so that you could
still vote if you could prove that your grandfather had voted. That might be
nice. To make it easier on everyone involved, the test could be an in-depth
survey of important names and dates from american history. In multiple
choice format. Then only the smart and the lucky could vote. Never mind the
fact that the date of Garfield's assassination has nothing to do with the
current situation. It would prove that prospective votors were /well
educated/, and that is all that matters.

  I have a suggestion, though. If we are going to start taking away people's
right to vote until they are old or smart enough, let's also take away their
right to pay taxes. I think that would be nice. "Mr. Weatherford, your
yearly income taxes are due." "Oh, I'm sorry sir, I failed my voter history
test and am currently not represented in our lovely government." "Well then,
I'm very sorry to have wasted your time. Have a nice year!" I was never a
fan of paying taxes without getting a voice in my representatives, the ones
that would determine how my hard-earned money was spent. Perhaps you, with
your superior age and education, can remember a similar situation in our
nation's history?

  But I'm only a kid. I'm just 19 years old. I'm not even old enough to
drink yet. I'm not old enough to remember how things were back in the good
ole' days. I'm not well educated enough to be boring at parties. What do I
know?

-Mike Weatherford.