[Vision2020] MCA debates

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 17:41:25 PDT 2004

A big, fat, public shame on you to Barrett Schroeder and the Republican Party from me, Auntie Establishment.  If the MCA were a biased, one-sided, lefty, liberal, Democratic, commie, pinko political party machine, I'd be its President.  No -- I'd be it's very butch queen.  But that is not what the MCA is; the MCA is the Moscow Civic Association, with an emphasis on the "civic," and instead of bad-tempered me, the lovely and accomplished Lois Blackburn heads the MCA.  She and her board work damned hard to ensure that MCA-sponsored forums are both fair and fairly moderated -- a fact to which those who either participated in or attended the Moscow City Council forum should readily attest.

In the interest of full disclosure, my much nicer partner, Melynda Huskey, occasionally moderates for the MCA.  She's a fully-trained facilitator and mediator, and, in the MCA forums, she is notoriously even-handed.  This drives Rose and me mad.  "You've got all of Moscow's politicians together in a room?" we ask.  "Republicans, too?  Hit them with sticks!"  But she never does.  Instead, just like at the dentist's office, everyone gets a lollipop.

Also in the interest of full disclosure, it's true that I was a founding member of the MCA, but I've long since ceased be anything more than an occasional source of accolades and fifteen-dollar checks.  Why?  Because though I support their work, they're far too fair for the likes of me.  I'm a fighter, not a lover.  I don't want to be fair.  I want to take a big juicy bite out of the radical right-wing behind.  Or the not-so-radical Moscow Republican behind.  Sorry, Barrett.  I've met you, I like you, and I have endorsed and frequently voted for your dad, Gary, but you're way off base here.  Shame, shame, and for shame.

Now, as soon as you pry my fangs out of your gluteus maximus, please send them back to me, C.O.D.  It's the least I can do.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment