[Vision2020] 10-18-04 USA Today Book Review: Oil's slippery slope

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Mon Oct 18 16:11:37 PDT 2004

Oil's slippery slope
By Barrington Salmon, Special for USA TODAY

If someone sitting in air-conditioned comfort in one part of the world believes
that what happens in Iraq or Nigeria, Venezuela or Colombia doesn't affect him
or her, Sonia Shah's Crude: The Story of Oil takes that little daydream and
shakes it up.
Whether it's a geopolitical conflict or social protest against oil companies or
the spewing of pollutants into the atmosphere, oil is always seeping into our
world.

Shah puts it bluntly: We are living on borrowed time.

The supply of oil is, of course, finite. And there is fear that the era of peak
production - the time when about half of the reserves are gone - is approaching.

In 1999, Goldman Sachs characterized the oil business as a "dying industry."

In 2002, the USA used almost 20 million barrels of oil a day, the global leader
of consumption. China is in second place, followed by Japan.

Shah, a journalist whose work has appeared in The Nation and on Salon.com, has
written a book that couldn't be more relevant.

In the chapter titled "Running on Empty," Shah examines the situation in Iraq.
Saddam Hussein, she writes, was using Iraqi oil as a "weapon to punish his
enemies."

By February 2003, "He claimed Iraq would double its oil production to 6 million
barrels a day by 2012," and he said the ones drilling for oil would be Russian,
French and Chinese companies, Shah writes.

"Then, seemingly out of nowhere, in the spring of 2003, the United States
invaded Iraq on a flimsy pretext, purporting to rid the broken country of
destructive weapons," she writes.

Most of the richest deposits of oil and natural gas are to be found in countries
racked by war, civil unrest and other problems, or in forbidding locations, such
as the North Sea.

Oil companies have masterfully linked increased oil and energy production as
"essential to the continued progress, prosperity and well-being of the world's
citizens," Shah writes.

Yet, she adds, analysts from relief organizations, activists groups and "even
the World Bank," point out that the standard of living tumbles when oil
companies set up shop.

Nigeria is a painful example. In the Niger Delta, residents lived in one of the
lushest places on Earth. Seafood was plentiful and the people who lived there
were able to sustain themselves.

Oil exploration and extraction destroyed the fragile ecosystem, and in places
such as Okoroba and Ogoniland, the legacy was the loss of cash crops, dead fish
and acidic pollutants that tightened residents' lungs, affected their skin and
eroded their roofs.

Any attempt to fight the oil companies led to bloody reprisals by the Nigerian
government. While people starved, Shah notes, former Nigerian military strongman
Sani Abacha and his cronies were able to amass a multibillion-dollar fortune.

And what are we to make of all this? Well, Shah says, oil executives should have
been preparing themselves and consumers for a new world order in which oil no
longer rules.

Instead, she demonstrates, oil companies have led consumers on an elaborate
charade where profits, consolidation of oil empires and market dominance are
more important than reality.

"An unprecedented crisis is just over the horizon," says former Shell geologist
Kenneth Deffeyes. "There will be chaos in the oil industry, in governments, in
national economies. Even if governments and industries were to recognize the
problem, it is too late to reverse the trend. Oil production is going to
shrink."

Industrialized countries, which already gobble vast amounts oil, are competing
with developing countries which, as their economies expand, have an increasing
appetite for more oil and money.

Shah puts the responsibility squarely on all the policymakers - and consumers -
but it's unclear who, if anyone, has the will, the courage and the juice to turn
around this dicey situation.

Shah concludes her book with this Saudi Arabian saying: "My father rode a camel,
I drive a car, my son rides in a jet airplane. His son will ride a camel."