[Vision2020] Burkett??

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 16 19:48:00 PDT 2004

Pat Kraut wrote:
"As I understand it, it means he cannot run unopposed. I don't know who else
would run or how they fix it but that was the explaination given to me."

Huh?  I think either you misunderstood or you need to check your source.

Of *course* a Magistrate judge can run unopposed!  In fact, I'm not seeing where
a Magistrate can *choose* to run -- unlike District Court judges, it seems
Magistrates must start out from appointment:
"There is a District Court in each of the 44 counties of the state.  These
courts are divided into seven judicial districts with four to ten counties in
each district.  Latah County is one of five counties which comprise the Second
Judicial District. District Court is divided into two sections, the District
Court and the Magistrate Division.  District Judges are elected by qualified
electors in district-wide elections on a non-partisan ballot every four years.
Magistrates are appointed by a District Magistrate Commission.  After initial
appointment to a two-year term, a Magistrate may be re-elected on a retention
ballot to a four-year term. Latah County has two resident Judges, one District
and one Magistrate.  The District Judge has original jurisdiction in all cases
and proceedings; in the issuance of writs of mandamus, certiorari, prohibition,
habeas corpus and all writs necessary to the exercise of his/her powers;
appellate jurisdiction extends to all cases assigned to the Magistrate's
division of the District Court and to all other matters and cases where an
appeal is allowed by law.  The Magistrate Judge is responsible for
infractions/trials, misdemeanors/trials, small claims court, felony
probable-cause hearings/felony preliminary hearings, divorce proceedings,
domestic violence hearings and is granted jurisdiction in civil proceedings
where the amount in controversy does not exceed $10,000.  Both District Judge
and Magistrate Judge conduct jury trials; each issues subpoenas, warrants of
arrest and each hears probation violation matters."
http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Court_Main.htm

So, it would seem that the recourse for being unhappy with a Magistrate is to
vote against retention.  If a Magistrate isn't retained, then the District
Magistrate Commission would *appoint* someone to fill the position.  At the end
of the two-year appointment, the Magistrate would then be on the ballot for
retention for four years.  I'm certainly no expert, but I'm not aware of any
circumstances where a Magistrate in Idaho would run against an opponent.

Anyone have any further information about this?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke