[Vision2020] SixDegreesOfVoting.com (fwd)

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Sat Oct 16 14:41:06 PDT 2004

Hello all... this is a non-partisan site that is just encouraging people
to vote... Please check it out, it's pretty interesting!
Debbie
organization. It was created by a few friends who know how to make a
website. Our only intentions are to increase awareness about the upcoming
election and to indirectly encourage more people to make the effort to
vote.

Using the same principles of annoying chain letters, but with much better
intentions (and without promising "your wish will come true if you send
this to ten people"), we're trying to make voter turnout spread like Paris
Hilton's video.

We want you to vote. Not in a "Rock the Vote" kind of way, but in a "this
particular election is really freakin important" kind of way. We're trying
a different approach to get more people going to the polls: peer pressure.

We all know the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory: Everyone knows
everyone within six degrees. Keeping this in mind -- if you agree to vote,
and you get all your friends to agree to vote, and they get all their
friends, and so on, then, theoretically, everyone will be voting November
2nd. Even Kevin Bacon. Six Degrees of Voting.com serves to facilitate that
concept. If you signup, you are pledging to vote on November 2nd.
Get excited, this is an important election. You will then get a link that
you can send to your friends and family. (NOTE: you send it, we don't
require your email or anyone else's). They pledge to vote, and get a link
that they send, and so on. Express your views to your friends, get them
energized, get them angry: get them to vote. You can make a difference, in
fact, login back into your account here and you see exactly what a
difference you have made. You are the top of your own pyramid and the
masses of America are getting excited about voting because of YOU.

Pretty soon, even you-know-who is signed up (if you really are Kevin
Bacon, click here), and hopefully, everyone follows through on their
pledge to vote, resulting in record voter turnout.

We also decided to have some fun with this. When you pledge, you can click
on your approximate location in the US, and enter which color represents
your political preference (red, blue, black or white). As more people sign
up, youll see the map fill up.

If you havent done so already, check out the map: it shows the last 100
users to sign up and their political dispositions.

Over the next few days, you can check back and see how many people pledged
to vote as a result of your pledge, and check out how the map is
progressing. We also have a splendid flash graphic that lets you follow
the trail you started.

Oh yeah, and we also have a cool message board you can take part in. Check
out the posts page to see the latest messages from other users. You can
reply to messages from there or post a new message from My Page once you
are logged in. Post insightful pieces of opinion or interesting facts and
links and we'll promote them to the front page for all to see.
Thanks for being part of this!

        http://www.sixdegreesofvoting.com/?ref=3129&mac=bc4022750cb47b2503c8b9da5d8fe29f