[Vision2020] Make Your Vote Count

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 19:57:32 PDT 2004

Ted, Tom, and others,

Mark my words, if this election is close and Kerry doesn't win Ohio this
election is most likely going to generate many legal challenges. We have
problems in Florida because of this voting machines. We have problems in
Nevada because of voter registration fraud, and we have a problem with the
Constitutional validity of the proportional initiative in Colorado.

Only a sure win in Ohio by Kerry would stem this off. If Kerry gets the Gore
states plus Ohio and New Hampshire, that gives him 284 electoral votes. He
could still lose one medium state like Wisconsin and another small one like
NH and win, so nobody is going to challenge legalities of wins when it
doesn't change the outcome of the election. But if Kerry gets the Gore
States, 260 electoral votes, plus either Florida, or a combination of two
smaller states and 4 electoral votes from Colorado, Bush will challenge it
and most likely win. This comes down to money and a good legal defense, not
the will of the people.

If the election remains close until election day, three major outcomes are
possible (numerous slight variations can happen, but unlikely).

1) Bush wins by keeping all the states he won in 2000, including Florida,
and/or doesn't lose more than 10 electoral votes from his previous states he
won in 2000.

2) Kerry wins by winning the Gore states, plus Ohio and/or Florida.

3) Kerry and Bush lock into a legal battle. Kerry wins the Gore States, plus
New Hampshire, Nevada, and 4 from Colorado.

*4) The Nightmare Scenario.

Without Colorado, Kerry wins 264 EV (Gore states + neighboring state New
Hampshire), Bush wins 265. But Kerry wins the popular vote in Colorado and
the initiative pass. Kerry's legal team would be fighting to knock down the
proportional system initiative, and Bush would be fighting to keep it so the
decision would go to the House. Most likely, Kerry would win and walk away
with 273 electoral votes. If not, we would be waiting for the results of the
Congressional races. Keep in mind that the vote for President, if it goes to
the House is not a direct vote, it is not a 200-235 type vote, it is a 25-25
vote. Each state has only one vote. In addition, a winner must get at least
26 state votes, a 25-14 vote doesn't count. This can be hard to do because
some states have an equal number of Democrats and Republicans meaning the
state doesn't cast a ballot because they cancel each other's votes out. This
vote could take as many ballots as 300 ballots and several months. The Vice
President would be determined by a popular vote of the Senate.

Also keep in mind that it would be the NEW SENATE and the NEW HOUSE voting,
so we cannot calculate the vote now. Chances are, Bush would win an
Electoral Tie.

I believe that if either candidate comes within 27 electoral votes and 2000
votes in that state(s), it will be challenged by the other party.

Kerry can challenge outcomes already in Nevada, Colorado, Florida, and maybe
Ohio.

Bush can challenge outcomes in Colorado and New Mexico.

Election night may not end until January this time around if Kerry doesn't
win Ohio but does well elsewhere.

Now if that didn't put you to sleep. . . .

Donovan J Arnold