[Vision2020] Proportional State Electoral Votes

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:59:54 PDT 2004

Ted,

I have read that article and have kept an eye on initiative in Colorado,
which would split the state and may influence the outcome of the election. I
do find this stimulating.

Oklahoma and DC also have a split system in addition to Nebraska and Maine.
However, those are solid one party states too.

The predicament with the Colorado voter on this measure is that it is
favoring one political party. It clearly benefits the Democrats in this
election. Could you envision New York or California doing this, allowing
Bush to peal off electoral votes from these states? That would be a
nightmare!

I agree getting rid of the Electoral College is very difficult. What I
though would be easiest, and fair, would be awarding the winner of the
popular vote 11 extra electoral votes, at least until all states switch over
to a proportional system.

Proportional systems can be manipulated as well by gerrymandering all the
voters of the non-preferred party into a few congressional districts as
possible. House Majority Leader, Tom Delay, was leading this effort in
Texas.

The biggest resistance you might see to the congressional electoral
proportional system is when Libertarians and Greens invest all their money
into a few congressional districts stealing a few votes from the Democrats
and Republicans. They would only need one more vote than the Democrat and
Republican, which is possible in a congressional district. This will make
the Republicans subjective to the desires of the Libertarians and the
Democrats obsequious to the Greens so that their electors would vote for
them. Could you imagine an election where it was 168-168 with Nader holding
two electors? What demands would Nader be making of Kerry to give him the
votes? Or Pat Buchanan of George Bush?

I could go on, but why bore everyone?

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold