[Vision2020] Oklahoma, okay!

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 11 22:27:51 PDT 2004

Well, Pope Joan, Candidate Coburn must be referring to a different Oklahoma than
the one where I was born & (partially) raised.

When I attended public school in the Great Sooner State, I had no clue there was
even such a thing as lesbianism -- lordy NO!  And, I was a smart little girl,
too -- I got straight As in all my classes, except for a greatly UNdeserved C in
Penmanship in the third grade -- so I don't think it's too likely that I missed
out on the lesbians running rampant.

But then again, who knows?  I also knew nothing of the Beatles (if you can
believe that) until after I'd moved from the Bible Belt to California, "Land of
the Fruits & Nuts" -- up until then, the only types of music I knew were hymns,
classical, blues, and the dreaded country western <gag>.  And Disney tunes  :-)

Once in California, of course, I got quite the culture shock, and not just with
respect to music, either -- for the first time, I learned about our POWs & MIAs
from the Vietnam War (anyone else remember the bracelets folks used to wear???),
that my charming accent (which I lost in record time) made me a target for
teasing, that there was life without humidity, that life is really missing
something without *real* seasons, that there were evil people like The Zodiac
Killer in the world, that there was such a thing as illegal drug use, that
Catholicism was HUGE (and completely foreign to my Congregationalist
upbringing), that homegrown fruits and vegetables are *infinitely* superior to
what you can buy in stores, that people from vastly different cultures CAN live
wonderfully together . . . and, of course, that there's a wide variety of
perfectly acceptable lifestyles that *don't* revolve around getting married and
having 2.5 children with a partner of the opposite sex.  Oh, and that . . . odd
people try to . . . sell a wide variety of religions door-to-door and that
"y'all" is really two words  :-)

But heck, Joan, what do I know anyway?  What would lesbianism running rampant
look like???  Maybe I saw it all the time and just didn't know what I was seeing
. . .

I *have* had occasion to spend a fair amount of time in OK over the last few
years -- including visiting my old elementary school -- and I saw absolutely NO
evidence of lesbianism running rampant . . . although that's sure something I'd
have liked to see  :-)))

However, I don't doubt that OK schools have figured out it's smart to only let
one girl at a time go to the restrooms.  If true, I'm sure it ABSOLUTELY has
NOTHING to do with lesbianism, but rather with the wisdom of knowing that
letting two or more girls go to the bathroom at the same time is going to
inevitably result in a gab-fest that will keep them out of class far longer than
necessary  :-)))

At least, that's how it was with me & my friends, and I don't see my daughter
breaking tradition there  ;-)

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.