[Vision2020] Gas Hog Wake Up Call?

Robert Dickow dickow at uidaho.edu
Mon Oct 11 21:01:31 PDT 2004

Ron, Boy isn't this the truth! I remember the 1973-75 period, when we all
proudly waged a quiet war against OPEC by dropping to 55 mph, and doing all
sorts of things to conserve.new fuel emission vehicle regulations,
developing domestic oil resources, etc. etc etc. And it really worked; we
were cutting into OPEC's bucks big time, and they eventually came modify
their pricing policies and fairly manage their 'cartel'.

So why has there been no outcry for similar pro-activity now? Is it just our
return to selfish over-the-top-conspicuous consumption and greedy waste? I
wonder! Maybe there has been the an explicit or tacit understanding between
Bush and Crew and the OPEC/Saudis that-so long as we be allowed to carry on
with our Iraq adventures-they could freely mess around a bit with the oil
market and we wouldn't raise too much of a fuss.

Bob Dickow, troublemaker