[Vision2020] Prairie RIP

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 20:59:56 PDT 2004

Today a lone, one acre prairie remnant was turned up and plundered for its
Granite boulders.  My guess is to use them for local landscaping purposes.

Permission had been properly gathered to acquire the field stones that had
been pushed up against one side of the small prairie remnant. But hey, the
ones up-hill with the old lichens must have looked pretty good, too . . .
more valuable even, considering that local Prairie is one of the most
endangered plant communities in the Americas.  The land owner and the world
truly lost more than they will ever get in return.

The person responsible for this error in judgment is in fact the very same
person who was stopped in the process of removing the plant growth from the
Palouse Mall; only in my opinion, the Mall issue was not nearly as morally
apprehensible as this present action was.

I was informed by one of the workers that the new highway was going through
the area  and so why does it matter . . . Interesting considering a two year
EIS (environmental impact statement) is presently just beginning  to assess
a broad range of options for the location of a new highway.  This measure
would certainly include assessments for endangered plants, some of which
have now been conveniently turned under . . .

Dave