[Vision2020] Right/Left blogs and blogging

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:29:55 PDT 2004

Disclaimer:  this is not an original thought of mine, I'm reconstructing
this from memory from an interview I think I remember hearing on the radio,
unless I dreamed it, which, in fact would make it an original thought of
mine after all.  Where was I?  The Internet, while being a wonderful device,
has in a way helped contribute to the deep schism in our country and right
here in our back yard.  It's so easy now to find "news" sources that spin
the news that fits your personal worldview.  Hate Bush?  Websites galore to
peruse.  Love Bush?  Again, no problem finding sites that support your
beliefs.  Is Iraq a quagmire?  Is the Iraq war justifiable?  Is global
warming real?  False?  Hate broccoli?  Love broccoli?  Support groups
everywhere, for any opinion you can think of.  It negates, for many of us,
the need for substantive dialogue and back and forth.  Electronic cliques
where you can hang out with your own kind, scorning those silly enough to
not see the world your way.  It's happening in Moscow, it's happening around
the country. Still, we shop in the same stores, eat in the same restaurants,
go to the same theatres and sporting events.  This demonization of the
"other side" that prevails on both sides is rather frightening.  Now I'm
going to go find a website that is intelligent and good-looking enough for
me to identify with.

                                                                     Carl
Westberg Jr.