[Vision2020] MSD FPC Interim Report

John Danahy jdanahy at turbonet.com
Wed Oct 6 14:45:39 PDT 2004

I read with interest the MSD Facilities Planning Committee Interim Report in
the latest district newsletter.  Under the heading of "The problem", the
first sentence caught my eye.  It read, "For a variety of reasons, the
district has been able to maintain but not substantively update or add to
its school facilities for several decades."

I recall a levy election in the late 1980's, (1989??) that paid for
substantial updates and expansions of school facilities, a bond levy that I
believe we are still paying for.  While fifteen years may be a long time to
some, it hardly can be described as "several decades".  Another tax increase
of $400,000 in the mid 90's paid for adding and updating technology.  Since
this report was written for the purpose of exaggeration, any and all claims
must be viewed as such.

The report suggests that the committee has been active since April, 2003.
While the current reincarnation may have started in 2003, such facility
planning committees have been in place since the early 1990's.  The claimed
facility needs are not new or recent, just repeated over again by new
members.  It is time for the FPC to get past the idea that there is no
consensus and deal with the fact that there is no support for a bond levy.
The FPC would do the community and the district a great service by
establishing ways for the district to use the 8 million dollars in local
property taxes we already pay for the district facility needs.

John Danahy