[Vision2020] Re: Exxon Mobil earned $11.23 billion first six months of 2004

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Oct 3 20:49:33 PDT 2004

Bill et. al.

And I was pointing out the gigantic profits the oil companies are making,
including the best profits off refining oil in 15 years, as we are at war and
making sacrifices as a nation.  You did not address this point in your reply.
Nor the question of why we should offer the oil companies tax breaks when they
are making a huge healthy profit off the US consumer?  If Exxon/Mobil wants to
make 100s of millions of dollars in profit off the US taxpayer, are you saying
we should have no control over whether they stick it to us with high gas
prices, because they don't want to pay good American wages at a new US refinery?
We must lure them with tax breaks, or they will take those good jobs
elsewhere?

Why don't we tell Exxon/Mobil that they must build more US refining capacity,
or we will by law regulate the price of gas and their profit margins?
Unthinkable?  We do it (or we did) with electricity and phone service.  Oh, excuse
me, the noble free marketplace, allowing gigantic multinational corporations
the freedom to rob people left and right, must be protected.  Of course
Exxon/Mobil probably owns as many politicians here in the US and around the world as
they do oil wells.

These questions I ask pose a dilemma for the morality of capitalism and free
markets when they appear to function in an unpatriotic and disloyal manner.
Or are these values only for our soldiers dying and being maimed in Iraq?  They
don't apply to Exxon/Mobil?

You did not address the fact that you asserted that voting Republican might
be a good choice to encourage tax breaks for the creation of new US refining
capacity.  Yet
isn't Kerry running on a change in the US tax system to give incentives to
keep jobs here in America, to not reward corporations who ship US jobs overseas?
 Perhaps you should rethink your recommendation for what party to vote for
when considering what political party would encourage a US Corporation to build
a refinery in the US?

And as far as Kerry or the Democrats saving the middle east from the mess
George Bush has made of it, helping to ease the fears of disruption of oil
supplies, don't hold your breath.  We are stuck in a quagmire in Iraq that could
keep oil prices high for decades!

And Exxon/Mobil will continue to rake in the billions $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$!

Ted Moffett