[Vision2020] Not Totally A Hoax:PLASTICS AND CANCER - PLEASE READ - FYI

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 20:59:06 PST 2004

Dick et. al.
Awwww, come on Dick, do you really think the Federal Government would engage in any action or release any statements that could be connected knowingly to harming the public?  I mean, this is like those scare stories about nuclear weapons testing and/or nuclear weapons related releases of radioactivity causing cancer in innocent US citizens.  As if the Federal government was knowingly putting US citizens at risk?  Another bogus conspiracy story, right?
I guess Jack did not read carefully enough through his link offered to demonstrate this was a hoax, because if you do, you discover, in fact, it is not totally a hoax.  There is scientific evidence to support the claim that in some cases heating plastics in a microwave can release toxic substances into food to justify the concerns of those who want to take precautions.
>From the snopes.com link Jack posted:
"Is there really something to the central claim of this e-mail, that heating plastic in microwaves releases a cancer-causing agent into the food? It's within the realm of possibility, but it must be stressed the FDA does impose stringent regulations on plastics meant for micro-waving. Also, if there are dioxins lurking in the plastic containers we heat food in and the process of warming those receptacles looses those nasties into our ingestibles, we've yet to locate the studies that prove this. However, because most dioxins are dangerous compounds we want to have as little to do with as possible, many people are cautious about using anything associated with them. So, if you're one of the concerned, be sure that when you cover a dish you intend to microwave with ordinary plastic wrap you do not let the covering touch the food, because some of the plasticizer in the wrap — which may contain toxic chemicals, as opposed to does contain toxic chemicals — could migrate to what you're cooking, especially foods high in fat. Alternatively, use waxed paper for this purpose. Those who are very, very cautious about the potential for dioxin contamination might choose to adopt the central point of the e-mail's advice, which is to decant all items into glass or ceramic containers before microwaving."
And from the same snopes.com link describing the results of a scientific experiement:
"... the results of the experiment described tended to indicate that diethylhexyl adipate (DEHA) and xenoestrogens could migrate from plastic wraps into microwaved food (specifically olive oil, the "food" used in the experiment), but only with some brands of plastic wrap (primarily ones not sold as "microwave-safe") and only when the plastic wrap was in direct contact with the food being heated..."
Let's have a list of types of plastic bottles or microwave containers or plastic wrap, etc. that might be risky to freeze or heat with consumables.  Some plastics might present a risk, some might not.
Or just use glass or ceramic containers for microwaving... no big deal.  Why take the chance of eating melted plastic, that is, unless you like the taste?  Then you could justify this like smokers justify smoking:  they enjoy it and we all die anyway from something!
Ted Moffett