[Vision2020] Property Taxes in Latah County

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 08:48:09 PST 2004

Visionaries:

Ms. Lund and I have developed a genuine curiosity over Latah County property
taxes of late.  We will begin in early December to take a look at all the
exemptions granted in this county.  We have learned that the feds and Idaho state
government have over 90,000 acres of tax free land in this county, which of
course increases the burden on all of us.  However, we will not be focusing on
state or federal land in our inquiry.  We will be specifically looking for
those organizations and individuals who operate for profit businesses under the
umbrella of exemption, or those groups and individuals who fail to meet the
conditions of their exemption.

We will bring those organizations to the attention of the county
commissioners and the general public.  Property tax exemption is not a right. 501(c)(3)
status does not, automatically, presume the privilege of tax exemption. The fact
that in many cases it has become so is a failure in oversight, as well as a
self serving benefit claimed by the cheaters. And make no mistake, that
cheating is deliberate, and all the tax payers in Latah County are subsidizing it.

Mr. Wenders, and his cronies who oppose supporting "government" schools, and
by the way, there is a direct link http://moscoweducation.org/  resent their
property tax bills and constantly complain about the educational process in
public Latah County Schools.  How  hypocritical!  Christ Church may turn out to
be the biggest property tax evader in the county and of course in Logos School
mentally, emotionally, most physically impaired, or children whose parent
cannot pay the tuition need not apply. (By the way, spare me the private emails on
how poor kids may be chosen for scholarships - unless you can also include
the number of kids attending Logos this year, and the number of kids on partial
or full scholarships, with documented evidence to the claim.)   And yet, they
have the unmitigated nerve to request and receive a property tax exemption.

Happily for the rest of us public schools provide for all our children, and
on the whole, do a terrific job.

Rose Huskey

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan