[Vision2020] Column on MSD in the Daily News

B.C. Strand Bill at strand.bz
Mon Nov 22 20:43:14 PST 2004

Hello folks,

I was reading the article by Jack Wenders blasting MSD. Wenders focuses
on the property taxes each of us pay to MSD. I've always accepted that
the property taxes in Moscow are well above average. This seems to be
intuitively obvious as the largest employers in Moscow pay no property
taxes (federal government, U of I, WSU and Gritman). This shifts the tax
burden from businesses to residential. It is one of the reasons I have
always supported business development in Moscow - to distribute the
taxes (and thus lower my own property taxes).

This year when I reviewed my three daughters' ISAT scores, I pleasantly
noted the high district averages (for all their grades). But Wenders
states that ISAT averages are not indicative of performance - it is the
INCREASE in ISAT scores from the previous year that should be evaluated.
Wenders states that this is the only way of eliminating the effect of
socio-economic status. This ISAT increase (so called "value-added
performance") should be compared to the average property taxes. To quote
Wenders:

"Simply put, Moscow's parents and taxpayers have paid well above average
property taxes for below-average school value-added performance."

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused by Wenders' "analysis". As a
starting point, average ISAT should be compared against average property
taxes - change in ISAT should be compared against change in property
taxes. Comparing increases in ISAT to average property taxes is "apples
and oranges". Part of that "socio-economic status" that Wenders readily
discarded (by using the increase in ISAT instead of the average ISAT
score) is the fact that I and my neighbors are willing to pay a bit more
for a quality education.

I am in no position to say if MSD's budget can be shaved. However,
Wenders has not convinced me that MSD students are underperforming. His
choices of performance indices seem somewhat arbitrary - possibly
selected to prove his point. When it comes time to evaluate any school
levy in the spring, I hope there will be better analysis from which to
decide.

Bill Strand