[Vision2020] Unalienable Rights: Historic Precedence

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Sat Nov 20 15:41:34 PST 2004

Ted, et al,

The anguish you express in your post below is that which philosophers, thinkers,
etc. have felt for centuries:  The problem of establishing the truth of "First
[Non-proven, assumed, etc.] Principles" in ethics, politics, etc.

So far as I know, no one has successfully done so.

Some "First Principles" must be assumed in order to operate in daily life:  For
example: "The future will resemble the past in some predictable way."  The
attempt to prove this principle results in what is called "The Problem of
Induction."  When dealing with ethical "First Principles", the problem is
becomes much more complex.

I am unlikely to solve the "First Principle" problem.  I can only show that the
other solutions offered so far fail.

The point of my response in the post below is that the terms "right", "life",
"liberty", "pursuit of happiness", etc. are not well defined.  They sound nice
and seem to mean something, but as it turns out, at best this something is
different for almost everyone.  When you ask most people to define these terms
precisely, you will not receive a generally coherent, consistent answer but only
an untestable restatement in other words.  Unless a precise meaning of a
statement can be agreed upon, no tests/observations/etc. for its truth can be
agreed upon and executed.  My hope expressed in the previous post is that in the
future some more precise meaning of these terms can raise to the level of some
general agreement, thus allowing at least a heuristic measure of the truth of
statements using such terms.

I once took a graduate course/seminar at the U. of Minnesota where we spent the
entire quarter discussing/debating and attempting to define "right" as in
ethical "rights."  We learned a lot, but of course we were not successful in
agreeing upon a universally acceptable definition nor a method of testing the
truth of statements that use that term except within various ethical systems
such as Utilitarianism which rely upon other unproven "First Principles."

Sad, but so far, true.  Most of us operate with some vague, unproven "First
Principles" as a bases for our ethical reasonings and actions.  Such principles
cannot, so far, be proven; however, they can be disproved or made improbable by
the application of logic and observation.

To see just one of the pitfalls of using a religious set of first ethical
principles, think about the dilemma first described by Socrates (or Plato
writing in the voice of Socrates):

"Is X good because God says so, or does God say 'X is good' because X (in fact)
is good."

When you take time to carefully think this dilemma out, neither alternative is
very satisfactory, especially to the religious.

I leave it as an exercise to you and others interested.  This dilemma has been
debated and discussed for centuries.  It is also used a test to see if a person
has the intellectual apparatus to understand some basic
philosophical/epistemological concepts.  As a hint of the difficulties involved,
a discussion of "rights", "good", etc. generally takes place in meta-language,
not in ordinary everyday, object language.

Happy contemplating.

Wayne

Wayne A. Fox
waf at moscow.com