[Vision2020] Historic Precedence

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 11:26:21 PST 2004

All:

What is this dispute about?  The correct interpretation of the separation of
church and state as a constitutional principle?  Whether or not the pulpit
should be or legally can be used for political speech?  What the historical facts
are regarding these two questions in the history of the US?  Or are you
debating under what circumstances is it valid to use historical precedent in fact
or principle to justify present principles or actions?

Perhaps this debate could focus on one question at a time?

On this issue of authority and historical precedent justifying current
principles or actions, we do this all the time, whether it is fallacious or not.
The US Constitution itself is nothing but a historical document that we continue
to reference to justify current principles and actions.  Yet there is nothing
to stop someone from using the argument that just "because someone thought or
did something a certain way in the past does not necessarily justify presence
actions or thoughts," as Rose put it, to question the US Constitution, or the
Bible, for that matter.

I should be taking sides in this discussion but I'm not sure what the
discussion is about!

My bad maybe!

Ted Moffett