[Vision2020] Historic Precedence

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 09:32:28 PST 2004

Visionaries:

Dale C. argues:

"...there was no sense that preaching about political matters from the pulpit
was a violation of church and state. Second, they had the belief that "all
human activities fall under the jurisdiction of God's Word". The pietists would
have us believe that only what happens between our two ears is what should be
influencing us from the pulpit. Finally, the most politically and socially
important members of the community processed to church and listened carefully to
what the preacher said.  Now, lest someone accuse me of trying to have all of
Moscow's City Counsel march to a local congregation, that's not my point at
all. My point is -- there's a historical precedent in American history for
churches to have election day sermons; and to have political input and influence.
Anything less is historical revisionism -- which our Intolerants are oh-so
good at." http://right-mind.us/

 I (dimly) recall that a logical construction which relies on intellectual
precedence may be a fallacy of authority (help me out here, Wayne) i.e. because
someone thought or did something a certain way in the past does not
necessarily justify presence actions or thoughts. It is hardly necessary to point out
that during the same time period that Dale refers to, other activities in
America were taking place that would probably not be invoked to justify continued
application: slavery, debtor's prison, witch trials, genocide of Native
Americans. All these unhappy activities, and frankly, in my opinion, sinful behaviors,
were endorsed from the pulpit by the same folks who gave election day
sermons.

No trained historian would deny that these sermons (and other behaviors I
listed) occurred.  So where does the revisionism come in?

Sorry, Dale.  Poor argument, false conclusions, and gratuitous insults.

Rose

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan