[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 19 05:46:55 PST 2004

Copied and pasted below is today's (November 19, 2004) UI Friday Letter from
UI President Tim White.

-------------

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends November 19, 2004

Dear Friends,

Today marks the beginning of Thanksgiving recess for many of us, and I want
say a very sincere thank you of my own. These past few months as president
have been rich ones, indeed. Throughout the events of the past semester -
good and bad - Karen and I have appreciated your unwavering support. We
truly are thankful for the opportunity to meet and work with such talented
faculty, staff and students as well as engaged and devoted alumni and
donors. We also are thankful for family, good friends and good health - none
of which we take for granted! Our thoughts are with those whose family
members are away from home serving in Iraq and other locations around the
globe.

Karen, Logan and I wish you a wonderful, fun, relaxing Thanksgiving.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ Brian Pitcher, provost since 1997, has been named chancellor at Washington
State University-Spokane. "In many ways, Brian has been the glue that has
held the University of Idaho together through some of the most tumultuous
and challenging times in its history," said President Tim White, who seeks
to select a new provost by Dec. 6 for an interim appointment expected to
extend until summer 2005. Pitcher came to the University in 1997 from Utah
State University where he had served in a number of positions including dean
of the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences for five years.

At Idaho, he was instrumental in developing and implementing the Strategic
Plan, which strengthened undergraduate education, graduate and research
programs and outreach services, especially in northern Idaho. Pitcher led
the University through the transition after the resignation of former
President Bob Hoover, serving as acting president from March to June 2003.

~ The women's rodeo team is riding high after four fall competitions that
put them in first place in the Northwest Region. They resume competition
again in March. This year's Vandal club team includes Scotti Fuller,
president and sophomore from Lewiston; Tobi Osburn, junior from Craigmont;
Brittany Highsmith, sophomore from Lewiston; and Jess Wasson, junior from
The Dalles, Ore. Their coach is Stephen Maki, branch station superintendent
for the Animal and Veterinary Sciences Department.

~The most rewarding moment in teaching the introductory microbiology class
for Professor Carolyn Hovde Bohach arrives when a student decides to change
majors to study her branch of science. "It's really a kick when I can convey
enough of my own enthusiasm about microbiology or immunology to have a
student become fascinated and want to study it," she said. Her skill and
enthusiasm led students to support her selection as this year's recipient of
the American Society for Microbiology's national award for undergraduate
teaching. Bohach, who began teaching the introductory microbiology class in
1989, won the prestigious Carski Foundation Distinguished Undergraduate
Teaching Award. She will receive a monetary award and present a lecture at
the society's annual meeting in Atlanta June 6. Bohach, who has an active
research program, also serves as associate director of the newly-funded
$16.1 million statewide IDeA Network for Biomedical Research Excellence. She
believes strongly that scientists who are active in their labs also make the
best teachers.

~ Due to the Thanksgiving break, the next edition of The Friday Letter will
be Dec. 3.