[Vision2020] Biosphere in Catastrophic Trouble?

Mike Weatherford fueledbyramen at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 16:28:40 PST 2004

Pat,

  In the immortal words of my little brother: "Huh? What?" From your short
post, I can't tell if you're being derisive of evolution, derisive of
environmentalism, derisive of both, or very, very subtly satirizing people
who are one of the first three. Since I'm not 100% sure, here's a big
honkin' post aimed at people who are any of the first three:

- Creatures evolve. They do this over long periods of time, to adapt to
gradual changes in their environment. If you'd like an example, pick up
Finding Darwin's God and read the chapter about colorational variations in
otherwise identical species of moths, depending on how close they are to
pollution centers. Evolution can be quick - it probably didn't take terribly
long at all (a couple of years, maybe) to adapt to a little thing like the
change in background colour.

- Having the forest in which your species live cut to the ground over the
course of a month and shipped off for processing, while the stumps are made
into slash piles and burned, and then having the ground in which it was
growing nicely enriched with the byproducts of a heavy machine logging
operation run in a country with no real rules to regulate it... that isn't a
gradual change. That would be like me shooting someone in the chest a couple
of times, and then in my defense telling the police that "they should have
evolved around the bullets."

- For the record, it /has/ actually taken longer than 6,000 years for the
biosphere to get to this point. Ask anyone who isn't a YEC nutjob. The real
number, as I recall, is a little closer to three billion, give or take a
couple epochs. (Until recently, it was commonly estimated at around 3.85
billion years, but some recent information has thrown the last .05 billion
into doubt.) Expecting this system to survive the crazy **** that humans
have spent the last two hundred years doing to it is a little... well...
optimistic would be one way of putting it.

I'm sure it'll be fine in the long run, though. Worst case scenario, when we
run out of real food, we can just eat the elderly, in the form of delicious
green food cubes.

Mmm, cubes.
-Mike Weatherford