[Vision2020] 11-14-04 NY Times OP/ED: Slapping the Other Cheek

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 14 15:09:32 PST 2004

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing -- it was an interesting read.

There is one specific part of the Op-Ed piece I want to comment on.  This quote
below comes from a letter written by Bob Jones III & sent to Bush following the
reelection:
"In your re-election, God has graciously granted America - though she doesn't
deserve it - a reprieve from the agenda of paganism," Mr. Jones wrote. "Put your
agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They
despise you because they despise your Christ."

This thinking, I think, is a HUGE part of the problem and one of the things I
find so unbelievably offensive.

To whom does Christ belong?  I was raised to believe that Christ belongs to all
who embrace him & his teachings.

In a nutshell, the recurring theme I see amongst conservatives and evangelicals
is a tendency to want *ownership* of Christ & of the interpretation of his
teachings, not to mention of the whole Bible!  Those who disagree with their
particular interpretation are called "non-believers," "un-believers," and worse.

Quite frankly, this is hurtful and offensive to the majority of Christians, who
*don't* share those extremist and arrogant and offensive views.  You don't see
us going around telling other Christians that they aren't really Christians, or
that we "own" Jesus & his teachings.

As I see it, the behavior of those conservatives and evangelicals is creating a
bigger wedge in our society than the "hot" issues of freedom of choice or gay
marriage could *ever* cause.

In my world, there's plenty of room for all religious beliefs, and for those who
haven't made any leap of faith as well.

How terribly sad that some fringe so-called "Christians" have decided to claim
ownership of Christ . . . and that so many folks are sitting by not questioning
it.  Perhaps those less secure in their spirituality are just going along with
it out of fear, which is sad, too.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID