[Vision2020] World's Greatest Democracy!

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 13:15:49 PST 2004

All:

As far as I can tell, unless I misread, the article posted by
jeanlivingston at turbonet.com starts out mentioning blackboxvoting.org, but does not mention
this site again, nor address the specific evidence offered at that site
regarding fraud with electronic voting machines.  My journalism teacher would have
jumped all over that!

The evidence that there were various violations of the Voting Rights Act in
2000 and 2004 is indisputable to anyone who looks at all the facts.  And beyond
this, continual monitoring and questioning of the conduct of anyone involved
in the voting process, and the fallibility of the machines of voting, is an
ongoing process not given sufficient attention in the USA, that is fundamental
to improve our voting systems and ensure that fraud or error does not happen in
the future.

Even if the preposterous notion that there was no fraud at all in 2004 by
anyone was true, we still face a voting system with unfair varying methods with
differing error rates when counting votes, lack of monitoring of those charged
with maintaining the integrity of voting systems, such as the absentee ballot
process, underfunded and understaffed voting systems in some areas of the USA
that unfairly impact the minorities and the poor, a voting system that renders
voting too difficult or restrictive for many to find the energy or time to
participate (polls should be open till midnight), lack of enforcement for
violations of the Voting Rights Act, clearly evidenced in Florida in 2000, when
felonies were committed regarding absentee ballot applications, and an apathetic
electorate that, though we did see an increase in participation in 2004, is a
mockery of what participation should be in the so called "world's greatest
democracy."

I would like to know what sort of a "democracy" we have when 24/7 shopping is
a priority in all urban areas, yet on the one day we elect a president, only
once every four years, the day we participate in and celebrate our democracy
with the most important act that our system of government is based on, people
get locked out of the polls because they show up past 8 PM?  A pathetic joke of
a democracy, that's what kind.  A system more obsessed with consumption of
goods than encouraging all to participate in choosing our leaders.

Whether fraud and/or violations of the Voting Rights Act in 2004 would have
changed the presidential outcome, as it certainly did in 2000, is in the final
analysis not the main reason to vigilantly address every shortcoming in our
voting systems.  I applaud everyone who is involved in trying to expose possible
acts of fraud in our voting systems, even if they make mistakes, unless they
are deliberately and maliciously spreading disinformation, something
politicians, political parties or the Bush administration would never do, right?

Fraud indeed!

For those who do not know the details of the Voting Rights Act:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/voting/intro/intro.htm

For those who want to investigate the numerous problems and violations of the
Voting Rights Act in Florida in 2000, with suggestions on means of remedying
the problems:

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/vote2000/report/main.htm

This statement below, quoted from the article jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
posted about vote fraud, is rather incredible.  No one in Ohio engaged in any
intentional fraud or tampering?  Oh, right, not that Hoffheimer saw with his own
eyes.  Only a naive fool would believe that no one in Ohio engaged in any
intentional fraud or tampering in the last election.

"We know this was an emotional election, and the losing side is very upset,"
said Daniel Hoffheimer, the lead lawyer for the Kerry campaign in Ohio. But,
he said, "I have not seen anything to indicate intentional fraud or tampering."

To present the facts regarding the fraud and errors in election 2004 I'll
wait till the research on this election has been conducted more thoroughly.

Ted Moffett