[Vision2020] 17,000 average!

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 19:40:30 PST 2004

Debbie,

You wrote, "I never said we should go AI, I was just talking about people
that attend"

Thanks for clearing up your position, I think you did anyway. The point of
whether we go AI or not is centered on the proposition that UI football
attendance will average at least 17,000. I don't think anyone is against
going AI because they don't want Vandal Football to be successful or make
money for the University.

Your argument that you knew some people that come to UI Vandal games from
abroad, seemed to me a supportive argument to the conclusion that we could
get 17,000 people to come to UI football games. I see no other reason for
making such a statement, so I think that is why I concluded that you
supported the move to AI. I don't think anyone doubts that SOME people come
from all over to see UI games. But enough people to come to UI games to
reach at least 17,000 even when we have a zero win record seems shaky to me.

I very much doubt that figure (17,000) is realistic. I also think Mr.
Hansen's original argument that he knows people that will come to the game,
is not one that persuades me either, and useless in the argument that 17,000
will attend based on how many people the people on V2020 know go to the
games. Now, if I wanted a tea party of 20 or more, and two people knew at
least 15 that would come, that would be a persuasive argument. But nobody
knows 17,000 will show up. Nobody knows 17,000, it is impossible to know
that many people. So in order to gauge that number, one has to look at other
factors and forms of measurement to make that judgment. Those factors
include population size, population characteristics, geology, weather,
economics, and a few other factors. Being a native to Moscow, and having
lived all over north Idaho, I say that those that derived at 17,000
attendance on average are wrong. They are wrong because they misjudge
weather, geology and population characteristics. That is my judgment and
that is what I base my decision on to not support the move to AI on.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

PS, I loved Shrek and Shrek II. Great movies, "We have a white bronco
heading. . ."