[Vision2020] UI Athletics

B.C. Strand Bill at strand.bz
Tue Nov 9 16:44:18 PST 2004

Nick Gier writes

Big Sky, I did indeed send our piece to Steve Peterson, who said that it
did not contain any errors. Steve is a former A+ student of mine and
also has done economic analyses for the union, but I'm a little
concerned about a social scientist now apparently going partisan about
IA affiliation."

First, I am curious when you state that Steve Petersen found no error in
your piece. As we all know, this doesn't necessarily mean that he agrees
with your conclusions. Did he agree with your conclusions?

Second, how is it that any conclusion drawn by Petersen regarding IA
athletics are partisan? He performed a rigorous analysis (something I
haven't seen from other sources) and came to a conclusion supported by
the analysis. I asked him how much time was involved in doing this work.
He responded that he had spent several man-months pouring over financial
records to get the data to build and validate his models.

The results seem to contrary to the desires of many in the academic
community. I've spent 25 years doing modeling work and have found that
modeling sometimes points in undesirable directions. The procedure is
then to examine the model, assumptions and inputs and identify possible
errors. If the issue is attendance at football games, then test the
sensitivity of this within the model. Unfortunately, too many times both
sides in this type of argument are afraid to explore this because they
are afraid that the conclusion may support the other team.

I received two degrees from Idaho, am affiliate faculty at the CheE
department, my wife teaches and studies in the Forestry Dept and I spend
two weeks out of the year trying to raise money for the ChE department
(including sending my own check). Trust me when I say that I want money
spent in the best way for education. At the same time, I want to
acknowledge the positive effect of athletics at UI.

Bill Strand