[Vision2020] 17,000 average!

Mike Weatherford fueledbyramen at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:06:58 PST 2004

  My money is still on a figure in the low 20,000's, for the total
student/resident population, figuring in the overlap. At this point, I'd
just be guessing - I don't have anything approaching the semblance of useful
information to throw at the problem. But I'd -guess- around 22,500 or so.
Which doesn't help the numbers at all.

  As Tom implied, we could simply rely on out-of-town vistors to make up the
difference at all of our football games. Every single one of them. Because
we're not going to get something like 75% local attendence (that's a simple
fact; I'd be shocked if any school in the nation could boast a number close
to that.) But how many out of town visitors could the town realistically
accomidate? And how many are we likely to see, on average? Assuming that
nobody from out of town went to the homecoming game (which doesn't seem like
a very good assumption, but I'll make it anyway, for the sake of argument,)
then could Moscow and the surrounding region accomidate an average of 8,000
out-of-towners every weekend, in order for us to meet the requirements of
average attendence? And, supposing we had excellent out-of-town attendence
for the homecoming game, then where exactly are we going to find another
8,000 football fans? Maybe we should institute an expensive advertising
campaign? Or start bussing in fans from surrounding areas? Of course, that
would be expensive. But hey, the College of Letters, Arts, and Social
Sciences still has some money left in it. Maybe we could just hit the CLASS
budget until a better football team comes out?

  On a slightly related note, I'm kind of impressed that so many people
hurried to correct my mistake about the Moscow population. It was a mistake,
and I'm sorry for it. But I'm kind of touched that so many people actually
read what I put up here, let alone responded to it. Thanks guys! I knew you
cared! :-) :-)

Your Pal,
-Mike W.