[Vision2020] Thank you

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 12:16:18 PST 2004

Visionaries:

Wayne Fox has forwarded a beautiful op-ed piece written by Leonard Pitts,
Jr., that is well worth reading.  (Mr. Pitts is a Pulitzer Prize winning
columnist for the Miami Herald.)  The notion that the Republican Party has kidnapped
God for political purposes is not new and not just a phenomena on the national
scene - we saw ample evidence of that kind of thinking in a local race - when
Tom Trail listed his religious affiliation as though it were a credential for
office.  We need only look as far as the Idaho State House to understand how
dogma shapes legislation and religious affiliation limits political
opportunities for those who stand outside the Temple.  Locally, we have the covenantal
remnant that wishes to avoid property taxes all the while blustering they don't
accept government benefits because of their commitment to the Lordship of
Jesus.

It is possible, I suppose, that I will work beyond the notion that every
person who voted for George Bush has blood on their hands.  Possible, but not
likely. The fact that much of his support came from folks who claim they are
Christian is an incredible shame -- both to them and to those of us who didn't call
them on their hypocrisy, or prayerfully suggest they reread the Gospel.

I am not suggesting for a moment that the Democratic answer to all this is to
out-Christian the Republicans.  Besides, loons like Pat Robertson and Jerry
Falafel are naturally more at home with the Republicans.  I am suggesting that
if Christians want to justify a claim the moral high ground  they had better
start working to feed the hungry, house the homeless, comfort the sick (that
would mean health care for everyone), visit the prison (that means addressing
the causes of crime), and instead of spending billions of dollars to kill people
ten thousand miles from the U. S, we start building schools, clinics, job
opportunities in this county and abroad.

Rose Huskey

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan