[Vision2020] Conspiracy?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:28:05 PST 2004

I'm glad you brought this up, Jim.  I would suggest that anyone interested in the dangers inherent in unaudited votes also check out http://www.blackboxvoting.org/.  Bev Harris has just filed the largest Freedom of Information Act request in US history, asking for vote audits in more than three thousand precincts around the country.  Of great interest is the fact that exit poll tallies were remarkably accurate in paper ballot precincts, but they were widely off in those districts which used electronic voting.  Apart from being statistically anomalous, it whiffs of potential voter fraud.  No paper trail on electronic voting machines means no audits and no recounts.

One county in my home state of North Carolina has just reported that more than 4000 votes were "eaten" by an electronic machine.  The manufacturer apparently told the election commissioner that the machine could record 11,500 votes; turns out it could only record 3,500.  Now, as any computer geek will tell you, both 11,500 and 3,500 votes are ridiculously small amounts of data.  My old Radio Shack TRS 80 could have recorded that much.  Hell, I could stick more than that on an iPod, with the added bonus of a democratically-inspiring funk soundtrack.

You don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to wonder why so many pollsters had it so wrong, both before and during the election, nor why Tom Delay and Dennis Hastert fought so long and so hard to block a bill requiring a paper trail for all votes cast on electronic machines.  Democrats and Republicans alike should insist on a clear, transparent, and verifiable vote.  At the moment, we don't have that -- and the biggest offenders (surprise, surprise) this time around were Florida and Ohio.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment