[Vision2020] Back to the Big Sky

B.C. Strand Bill at strand.bz
Thu Nov 4 20:49:41 PST 2004

Nick Gear,

I was curious if you had taken a look at the full economic analysis
performed by UI research economist Steve Peterson . Peterson was hired
by UI to conduct an economic study of the university on the state
economy. But his study broadened to look at the economics of UI athletic
program (from what he has said, this was on his own initiative).

He will be the first to admit that he hasn't had enough time to perform
a full analysis of  Idaho returning to the Big Sky as opposed to the
WAC. However, his initial impressions were that UI academics would lose
revenue out if we returned to the Big Sky. His economic modeling was
pretty detailed looking at a full range of gate receipts, visitor
income, etc... I was pretty impressed with the depth of his modeling (an
area in which I have 20 years of experience).

If I was circulating a petition, it would be a request to expand
Petersen's analysis - to allocate time and resources to truly analyze
these scenarios in a timely fashion (as in ASAP). This is my letter to
President White will request.

Bill Strand