[Vision2020] MITCH ALBOM: After bitterness: Will we let winneractually lead us?

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Wed Nov 3 10:12:25 PST 2004

Dick, et al,

I think the country will continue to be deeply divided.

It is the underlying world views/approach to life of different people that fuel
this division.  Unlike scientific disagreements, which can be solved by
experiementation and observation, political, religious, and values disagreement
so far have not been overly amenable to this approach.  Facts sometimes help
solve these kind of problems, but not always and generally not.  [Nor is there
any real agreement between the various Christian sects on high profile
ethical/political issues.

Example:  Take the gay-marriage issue:  It seems to me that the state has a very
strong and real interest in promoting stable, responsible, and happy martial
relationships and also allowing persons as much freedom as is compatible with
overall social order/stable organization (as opposed to social
disoprganization).

Current research seems to show that same sex partnerships (as opposed to causal
affairs) are more stable than heterosexual couplings of the same type.  I fail
to see how committed couples express themselves sexually is any real concern of
the state -- in fact, the sexual practices that are hypocritically condemned by
critics of homosexual relations are widely practiced by heterosexual couples
without such condemnation.

Shoildn't the state encourage rather than discourage good citizens to spend
their lives (or part of their lives) with a partner or partners they love and
enjoy being with?

Of course, much opposition to gay-marriage as well as other practices and
actions is generated by religious/superstitious beliefs.  Unfortunately, there
is no guaranteed way to tell at this point in history which religion of tens of
thousands, if any, is the "true" one.  It appears that over the course of record
human history, religious/superstitious belief has been one the major causes of
human strife.  People don't generally kill and main over what they believe is
the cause of measles;  they certainly do all of these things and more horrendous
acts propelled by unverifable religious/superstitious beliefs.

It is particularly frightening when the leader of a country proclaims that
he/she is carrying out the alleged will of some alleged god(s).  How can you
really tell if such assertions are actually true? -- Especially when the
assertions of different leaders and their rleigious/superstitious underpinnings
are contradictory to each other?

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco at moscow.com