[Vision2020] Soldiers Who Gave

A Veteran thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 18:29:08 GMT

SOLDIERS WHO GAVE

When our country settles the score
And brings our troops home from fighting a war
They will have gone from young to old overnight
I hope our country will do for them what is right
We say at ease Soldier, let it end
No longer do we need your services to defend.
Those that say this were never there
These same people will never have the 1000-yard stare

We say forget it for it no longer exists
Why do you talk about bloodshed amidst?
It is over for those that weren't there
Now America please show these Veterans you care

Your nightmares would stop if you 'de close the door
Forget and bury these stories of horror.
Sorry to say the door I can never close
But those that died are in a state of repose

Why do you cry and call strangers your brothers;
People different and are of so many colors?
They would have died for me and me for them
We would stay with each other until the very end

We stare at the Vet, homeless under a bridge
And wonder why he has nothing left to give.
Keep your promises America for those that can't close the door
Take care of those that bore the brunt of this terrible war

How long should we pay for broken spirits and bones?
Why should we continue to support V.A. Homes?
The soldier didn't ask what's in it for him
He was willing to fight until this war we win

Cut expenses and send them on their way.
How much longer should our country pay?
Pay these men and women until they in their graves
For it is America and its people that they did save

Our country must pay for however long it takes
To support our Veterans and the aftermath war creates.
The war isn't over when the last shot is fired
We must care for our Veterans when they come home and their soul is tired

When we call America home of the free and brave
Remember it is because of the Soldiers who gave.
America, land of the brave home of the free
It was the soldier not the politician who was willing to die for me

           http://www.fsr.net/