[Vision2020] Voter turn out

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sun, 23 May 2004 20:48:14 -0700

Mr. Hansen Asks:

"In a party-line primary system, such as Idaho's, which primary do
independents vote?  Are they required not to vote in either primary?  Should
they vote in both primaries?  Are they to restrict their vote to the general
election?  Is an Idaho independent to be labeled (as that old Beatles song
says)  "a dead skunk in the middle of the road".

This is like an atheist asking what church they should go to. Independents
are independents because they don't believe in a party. Therefore, why would
they even bother to honor a group of people they are opposed to.
Independents don't need an endorsement from a party, that is why they are
INDEPENDENT, the INDEPENDENT means they are INDEPENDENT from a party. Thus
saying they should participate in an election that binds them to a party, is
contrary to the term Independent.

You have NO legal right to vote in Primaries. Primaries are NOT government
elections, they are private nominations. The Democratic, Republican, Green
Party, Reform Party, Constitutional Party etc, are not government
entities,They let you vote in them because of the public pressure to be open
to the public. Voting in a political party you don't belong to is the same
as voting in another private organization you don't believe in or are a
member of. It is equivocal to sneaking into a fraternity or Sorority and
casting a ballot for the President of the Greek House. You might have an
opinion as to who is best suited, and who you think would also be elected as
President of the Greek Council, but it is none of your business who they
choose to represent them.

Just because you can sneak in and abuse the system, and corrupt the results,
doesn't mean you should.

Any Democrat that is voting in the Republican Primary should just plain be
ashamed of themselves, for they are inviting the Republicans to mess with
our Primaries in future critical elections.

The members of private political parties should be able to maintain the
right of choosing who they want to represent them without others interfering
and corrupting their decision making process; voting in a primary that is
not yours is acting opposition to this statement.

Respectfully,

Donovan J Arnold