[Vision2020] Pappas Report and Public Records Law

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 22:44:18 EDT

-------------------------------1084416258

Visionaries:

Thanks to Tom Hansen and others we were able to read the executive summary of
the Pappas Report this morning.  This report is the result of a procedural
audit in several UI departments, particularly those who handle, process, and
invest money.  Although the summary praises some procedures and departments, over
all it paints a gloomy picture of antiquated procedures, resistance to
effective changes, and lack of accountability.  With the Boise Place fresh on our
minds none of us should be surprised by these findings.  The summary whetted my
appetite for a larger helping of institutional incompetence (gluttony being my
favorite deadly sin). I wanted to read the entire document.

A public records request is the most efficient way to achieve this kind of
access. For those of you who have never filed a public documents request it's an
easy process.  If you are not familiar with the surprisingly broad range of
materials available - and with the exception of some law enforcement records
and personnel files, it encompasses practically everything written, taped, or
recorded on tax payers time.  IMO the best way to learn more about what records
are available to the public and how to file your request is found at:
http://www2.state.id.us/ag/manuals/publicrecords.pdf.

The University of Idaho of was very responsive to my request which was made
first to University Counsel, and then directed to the Office of Marketing and
Communication (Bob Hieronymus, Director).  The Pappas Report is well worth the
read.  It certainly helped me understand how so many incredibly poor financial
decisions were so effectively hidden from the public.  (Hint: inadequate
internal audits, concentrated financial power, inefficient procedures, etc., etc.,
etc.)

Of course, frequent readers of V2020 are probably familiar with the recent
public records request from Christ Church officials to the University of Idaho.
They apparently wanted to review emails from different departments prior to
the New St. Andrews Opinion Conference.  I am curious if they are going to
share their findings with us, or, did they just want to read someone else's mail?

Rose Huskey
Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.

-------------------------------1084416258

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2737.800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Visionaries:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks to Tom Hansen and others we were able to read the executive summ=
ary of the Pappas Report this morning.&nbsp; This report is the result of a=20=
procedural audit in several UI departments, particularly those who handle, p=
rocess, and invest money.&nbsp; Although the summary praises some procedures=
 and departments, over all it paints a gloomy picture of antiquated procedur=
es, resistance to effective changes, and lack of accountability.&nbsp; With=20=
the Boise Place fresh on our minds none of us should be surprised by these f=
indings.&nbsp; The summary whetted my appetite for a larger helping of insti=
tutional&nbsp;incompetence (gluttony being my favorite deadly sin). I wanted=
 to read&nbsp;the entire document.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A public records request is the most efficient way to achieve this kind=
 of access. For those of you who have never filed a public documents request=
 it's an easy process.&nbsp; If you are not familiar with the surprisingly b=
road range of materials available - and with the exception of some law enfor=
cement records and&nbsp;personnel files, it encompasses practically everythi=
ng written, taped, or recorded&nbsp;on tax payers time.&nbsp; IMO the best w=
ay to learn more about what records are available to the public and how to f=
ile your request is found at: <A href=3D"http://www2.state.id.us/ag/manuals/=
publicrecords.pdf">http://www2.state.id.us/ag/manuals/publicrecords.pdf</A>.=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The University of Idaho of was very responsive to my request which was&=
nbsp;made first to University Counsel, and then directed to the Office of Ma=
rketing and Communication (Bob Hieronymus, Director).&nbsp; The Pappas Repor=
t is well worth the read.&nbsp; It certainly helped me understand how so man=
y incredibly poor&nbsp;financial decisions were so effectively hidden from t=
he public.&nbsp; (Hint: inadequate internal audits, concentrated financial p=
ower, inefficient procedures, etc., etc., etc.)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Of course, frequent readers of V2020 are probably familiar with the rec=
ent public records request from Christ Church officials to the University of=
 Idaho.&nbsp; They apparently wanted to review emails from different departm=
ents prior to the New St. Andrews&nbsp;Opinion&nbsp;Conference.&nbsp; I am c=
urious if they are going to share their findings with us, or, did they just=20=
want to read someone else's mail?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rose Huskey</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZ=
E=3D"12">Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.</FONT></DIV></BODY=