[Vision2020] Why are we in Iraq?

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 10:52:02 -0700

<P>This is why I think we're in Iraq:</P>
<DIV class=RTE>
<P>1.&nbsp; The administration wants to have a large American military presence in the Middle East to ensure control and flow of oil.&nbsp; Saudi Arabia has not worked out real well, so we will move the troops based there&nbsp;into Iraq.&nbsp; To do that we will need to control Iraq after the alleged transfer of sovereignity.&nbsp; That is why the biggest U.S. embassy ever will be located in Iraq, and why the new 'government' will not be allowed to ask us to leave.&nbsp; We plan on maintaining military and economic control of the country after June 30.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Paul Wolfowitz has said that the WMD threat was picked for bureaucratic reasons, it was the issue that everyone could agree on.&nbsp; He went on to say that the war would allow us to move troops from Saudi Arabia.</P>
<P>2.&nbsp; The neo-cons in the government and those on the outside who supported this war have the theory that we will be able to create a democracy in Iraq that will lead to sweeping changes in the Middle East.&nbsp;&nbsp;After browsing the Weekly Standard&nbsp;[using Pat Kraut's link] I believe that they belong to this group.&nbsp;Thomas Friedman also buys into this theory.&nbsp; &nbsp; I wonder if they can point to any incident in history that supports their theory.&nbsp; Seems to me that before you go killing a bunch of people and spending our lives and billions of dollars, that you should have some reason to believe your plan will work.&nbsp; I don't think they can point to anything.&nbsp; Certainly it is something that should have been debated in Congress before going to war.</P>
<P>Sunil</P>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Donovan Arnold" &lt;donovanarnold@hotmail.com&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Vision2020] Why are we in Iraq?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:14:39 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Seriously, I am not being a smart ass. Why are we in Iraq?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It doesn't make any sense at all. It is not obviously to increase
<DIV></DIV>&gt;oil supply. It is not to help the poor. Not to cloth the naked.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Certainly not to end torture. It was not to increase security or
<DIV></DIV>&gt;stability in the region. It was not to remove Saddam, because is now
<DIV></DIV>&gt;gone. It was not to remove WMD's.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;So why are we there? If it is to rebuild the nation, why did we
<DIV></DIV>&gt;knock it down in the first place?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Hopefully, I can get a straight answer from someone.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It sounds like this was a war of boredom or war of choice.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Donovan J Arnold
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;_________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to win $1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;communities of the Palouse since 1994.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.fsr.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV></div></html>