[Vision2020] recycling at the RenFair

bill london london@moscow.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 15:42:02 -0700

--------------040001020806030104020302

This year the Moscow Renaissance Fair enjoyed beautiful weather which
drew record crowds to East City Park.  Where our main goal is to have
everyone enjoy the artisan's crafts and music and the great food, we
also encouraged the community to think about recycling.  We do this by
offering compostable plates, cups and bowls as well as cornstarch
utensils to the food booth vendors.  Then with the help of patrons, we
separate trash from compostables and recyclables by providing stations
manned by volunteers from the food booths and from local environmental
groups.  We keep the park clean throughout the event and have work
parties afterwards to pick up the next day.  It truly is a learning
experience for everyone and is a delight to answer questions about
cornstarch based utensils available as an alternative to plastic.

This year the fair generated 2,780 pounds of trash of which 57% was
composted and 19% was recycled, leaving only 24% of the waste to be sent
to the landfill.  Clearly these efforts have demonstrated that our goals
of reducing and reusing are succeeding.

The recycling coordinator last year and this year, Erin Manderville, did
a superb job.  Erin is a local resident and student at the University of
Idaho where she has earned recognition for "Outstanding Sophomore" this
year.  Assistance was also offered by Andy Boyd, a RenFair board member
as well as the Manager/Education Coordinator at Moscow Recycling.  A
special thank you is extended to Lee Anne Eareckson, Moscow High School
faculty member who heads up the High School's Environmental Club, for
getting volunteers throughout the weekend.

Thank you all for coming to the 31st Annual Moscow Renaissance Fair.  We
appreciate any comments you have to offer.  For more information, visit
our website at moscowrenfair.org

Chris Pannkuk

Moscow Renaissance Fair President 2004

--------------040001020806030104020302

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
This year the Moscow Renaissance Fair enjoyed beautiful
weather which drew record crowds to <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>East</st1:PlaceName>
<st1:PlaceType>City</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceType>Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>.<span
 style="">&nbsp; </span>Where our main goal is to have everyone enjoy
the artisan&#8217;s crafts and music and the great food, we also encouraged
the
community to think about recycling.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>We
do this by offering compostable plates, cups and bowls as well as
cornstarch
utensils to the food booth vendors.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>Then
with the help of patrons, we separate trash from compostables and
recyclables
by providing stations manned by volunteers from the food booths and
from local environmental
groups.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>We keep the park clean
throughout the event and have work parties afterwards to pick up the
next day.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>It truly is a learning experience for
everyone and is a delight to answer questions about cornstarch based
utensils
available as an alternative to plastic.
of which
57% was composted and 19% was recycled, leaving only 24% of the waste
to be
sent to the landfill.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>Clearly these
efforts have demonstrated that our goals of reducing and reusing are
Erin
Manderville, did a superb job.<span style="">&nbsp; </span><st1:place>Erin</st1:place>
is a local resident and student at the <st1:place><st1:PlaceType>University</st1:PlaceType>
of <st1:PlaceName>Idaho</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> where she has
earned
recognition for &#8220;Outstanding Sophomore&#8221; this year.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>Assistance
was also offered by Andy Boyd, a
RenFair board member as well as the Manager/Education Coordinator at
Moscow
Recycling.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>A special thank you is
extended to Lee Anne Eareckson, <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Moscow</st1:PlaceName>
<st1:PlaceType>High School</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> faculty member
who
heads up the High School&#8217;s Environmental Club, for getting volunteers
throughout
the weekend.</p>
Annual
Moscow Renaissance Fair.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>We appreciate
any comments you have to offer.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>For more
information, visit our website at moscowrenfair.org</p>

--------------040001020806030104020302--