[Vision2020] "Commissioners Adjust Tax Exemptions for Moscow Church "

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 15:41:43 GMT

Very fascinating article, Wayne.

This strongly suggests Doug "His Whiny-ness" Wilson's influence into the Latah
County Commissioners' Offices via Kimmell.

Thanks for the info.

Tom Hansen
Just another Liberal Elitist loose in the Palouse

PS - Is there any evidence of the Dougster's influence in the Moscow City
Council?

> Saundra, Donovan, et,al,
>
> Perhaps another insight into the way Commissioner Paul Kimmell turns a blind
eye
> to conflicts of interest can be found from a recent INK column by Vera White.
> [Pasted below.]
>

> Vera provides facts and raises some very important issues.
>
> Given previous discussions about theocracy and cult purchase of downtown
> property and businesses, If I were a chamber member, I'd have some real
concern
> about how important/confidential business information is handled by the staff.
> I'd have some very, very real concerns Kimmell's integrity and objectivity.
>
> I'd really wonder about who he was representing first.  I'd wonder about
whether
> Kimmell, wittingly or unwittingly, is assisting the cult to attempt to
> evangelize and to desecularize Moscow.  [See frightening excerpt from SPLC
> article quoting Wilson which is also pasted below.
> http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=376&printable=1,
last
> paragraphs]
>
> Actually, If I were a chamber member, I'd do more than wonder.  I would
attempt
> to take concerted action.
>
> However, the conflict of interest issue is not the only important one.  The
> Commissioners and tax assessor in the hearing depended upon information given
> them by the cult and their attorney.  Was there any attempt on the part of
> either the board or assessor to verify the accuracy of the information?  It
> seems to me there was observable, important, relevant information not given.
> Moreover, this information is certainly known to Paul Kimmell.
>
> Curious.
>

> Wayne
>
> Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
> deco@moscow.com
>

> ____________________________
> INK: Moscow chamber seeks best candidate for the job
>

> Vera White [040904 Daily News]
>

> Do you have to belong to Christ Church to work at the Moscow Chamber of
Commerce
> office?
>

> "No, absolutely not," Chamber Executive Director and Christ Church member Paul
> Kimmell told the INKster. "This is a community-driven organization that we
hope
> is representative of the community."
>

> The staff at the chamber office includes receptionist Emily Atwood, niece of
New
> St. Andrews Dean Roy Atwood; University of Idaho student Kristen Hagen, who
> works part time; and Kimmell's wife, Connie Kimmell, who has been filling in
as
> office manager for a "little over a month."
>

> All three women are members of Christ Church.
>

> After hearing grumblings from chamber members that being a kirker is good for
> your resumé when seeking employment with the organization; the INKster called
> the amicable Kimmell for a comment.
>

> "That would not be a good policy and this community has a lot of good people,"
> he said. "I would welcome calls from anyone who wants to talk about it."
>

> Some members' concerns centered around the open office manager's position.
>

> "It was time for a change," Kimmell explained. "In the direction the position
is
> going, we're looking for someone to step up and serve the organization now
that
> we've grown in numbers and more things are going on. We need a person who is a
> problem solver and who knows the community."
>

> To that end, Kimmell plans to start advertising the opening in area newspapers
> and hopes to have the position filled by next month. He has put together a
> search committee that includes several active board members.
>

> "We're a fast-paced, dynamic organization," boasted Kimmell, who has been with
> the chamber three years. "I would invite anyone interested to apply."
>

> Kimmell also is a Latah County commissioner.
>

> "I keep very busy," he said. "There have not been many conflicts of interest,
> but when they arise, I just deal with it."
>

> The chamber currently has 505 members, which Kimmell said is consistent with
the
> past three years.
>

> "There are always more people out there we hope will join the organization,"
he
> said.
>

> When wearing his chamber hat, Kimmell spends much of his time "helping people
> make connections ...promoting membership by connecting people with businesses,
> the community, and others."
>

> He has been accused of putting church holdings at the top of the list when
> showing newcomers around town, making sure they see NSA and Logos School.
>

> "We are a board-driven organization with a process in place to safeguard what
> goes on," Kimmell said. "They are a very engaged board of directors who are
> active in the community. They keep me in line."
>

> Since the chamber and the Moscow/Latah County Economic Development Council
work
> closely together for business recruitment and retention, the INKster called
EDC

           http://www.fsr.net/