[Vision2020] Abu Ghraib

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 5 May 2004 10:03:19 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C43288.30F35150

Carl writes:

>A question for those who insist on condemning virtually the entire Musli=
m =20
>faith because of the acts of a small percentage of Muslims.  The atrocit=
ies =20
>that occurred at Abu Ghraib were perpetrated by a small percentage of =20
>American soldiers.  The image of the United States in the Arab world has=
 =20
>probably never been worse.  How can we tell Muslims that this is an =20
>aberration that does not represent America's beliefs and values, when so=
 =20
>many Americans are convinced that the actions of a few Muslim extremists=
 =20
>represent all of that faith?  =20

I know how I'd answer this question, but why don't we take a look at how =
one of the Right's most prominent talking heads is dealing with the Abu G=
hraib abuse and torture?

Courtesy of Wonkette.com:

Rush Limbaugh on how soldiers stacking up naked prisoners is, as one call=
er put it, "like a college fraternity prank": "Exactly. Exactly my point!=
 This is no different than what happens at the skull and bones initiation=
 and we're going to ruin people's lives over it and we're going to hamper=
 our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because=
 they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every da=
y. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever he=
ard of emotional release? You of heard of need to blow some steam off?"

At my old sorority, Tappa Keg, this was certainly our idea of a fun Satur=
day night.  We'd pick a battered, impoverished, Third World country, amas=
s an invasion force, and sail in killing ten or fifteen or twenty thousan=
d of them.  Then, we'd imprison a sizable number of the survivors, put ho=
ods over their heads, strip them naked, and attach electrodes to their ge=
nitals or make them masturbate in front of us, being sure to pose a few o=
f those Kodak moments for the sorority scrapbook.  Sheesh -- what's the b=
ig deal?  Doesn't everyone enjoy this kind of hazing?

If I were feeling generous, I'd conclude that Mr. Limbaugh has suffered a=
 relapse and is once again abusing the hillbilly heroin.  But I'm not fee=
ling generous; I'm feeling nauseated.  Mr. Bush can give all the intervie=
ws he likes to Al Jazeera.  It won't matter.  We have now lost Iraq.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

"Soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life.
Eew."

--Tom Lehrer, 'Bright College Days'
 Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn=
com

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C43288.30F35150

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Carl writes:<B=
R></DIV> <DIV>&gt;A question for those who insist on condemning virtually=
 the entire Muslim <BR>&gt;faith because of the acts of a small percentag=
e of Muslims.&nbsp; The atrocities <BR>&gt;that occurred at Abu Ghraib we=
re perpetrated by a small percentage of <BR>&gt;American soldiers.&nbsp; =
The image of the United States in the Arab world has <BR>&gt;probably nev=
er been worse.&nbsp; How can we tell Muslims that this is an <BR>&gt;aber=
ration that does not represent America's beliefs and values, when so <BR>=
&gt;many Americans are convinced that the actions of a few Muslim extremi=
sts <BR>&gt;represent all of that faith?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>I know how I'd answer this question, but why don't we take a look at =
how one of the Right's most prominent talking heads is dealing with the A=
bu Ghraib abuse and torture?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Courtesy of Won=
kette.com:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rush Limbaugh on how soldiers sta=
cking up naked prisoners is, as one caller put it, "like a college frater=
nity prank": "Exactly. Exactly my point! This is no different than what h=
appens at the skull and bones initiation and we're going to ruin people's=
 lives over it and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we=
 are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, =
these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people havin=
g a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You of =
heard of need to blow some steam off?"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>At my=
 old sorority, Tappa Keg, this was certainly our idea of a fun Saturday n=
ight.&nbsp; We'd pick a battered, impoverished, Third World country, amas=
s an invasion force, and sail in killing ten or fifteen or twenty thousan=
d of them.&nbsp; Then, we'd imprison a sizable number of the survivors, p=
ut hoods over their heads, strip them naked, and attach electrodes to the=
ir genitals or make them masturbate in front of us, being sure to&nbsp;po=
se a few of those Kodak moments for the sorority scrapbook.&nbsp; Sheesh =
-- what's the big deal?&nbsp; Doesn't everyone enjoy this kind of hazing?=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>If I were feeling generous, I'd conclude th=
at Mr. Limbaugh has suffered a relapse and is once again abusing the hill=
billy heroin.&nbsp; But I'm not feeling generous; I'm feeling nauseated.&=
nbsp; Mr. Bush can give all the interviews he likes to Al Jazeera.&nbsp; =
It won't matter.&nbsp; We have now lost Iraq.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"Soon we'll=
 be out amid the cold world's strife,</DIV> <DIV>Soon we'll be sliding do=
wn the razor blade of life.</DIV> <DIV>Eew."</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV=