[Vision2020] Message from President Michael

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:53:34 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4171F.2D1DA8C0

Message from President MichaelPresident Michael Calls for Civility

A strength of the University of Idaho has been the challenging and positive
environment in which to learn and grow. As a university community, we are
facing many difficult choices, and we cannot allow differences, conflict and
animosity to destroy this supportive community.

The UI should be a place where open, thorough and sometimes heated debate is
integral to learning and decision-making. The rhetoric surrounding the
studio arts issue in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences, on
the other hand, has crossed an unacceptable line. No longer are issues the
focus; the dialogue, for some, has devolved into personal attacks on the
administrators who developed the proposal and those who voice support.
Labeling administrators as "fascists" and sending them and their family
members messages questioning their personal integrity certainly does not
advance anyone's case.

As colleagues and as students, we share responsibility to foster and
maintain an environment where controversial issues can be openly discussed
without intimidation or threat of retribution. To the extent these anonymous
messages come from faculty and staff, I would remind you of the values
outlined in the strategic plan regarding civility. More pointedly, I would
remind you of the university policies in place regarding our individual
responsibility to foster a nonviolent workplace environment.

To the extent these messages come from students, please remember that
learning the ability to discuss differing opinions without resorting to
name-calling is an important aspect of a higher education. Silence in the
face of inappropriate behavior indicates tacit approval. I know all of us,
including student, faculty and staff leaders, share these concerns.

I understand the First Amendment rights each of us enjoys. I also understand
the university policies regarding workplace climate and the state laws
regarding threatening individuals and defacing public property. Open, civil
debate is a foundation of a university culture. Personal attacks on fellow
members of our university community seriously erode that foundation. There
are difficult decisions ahead for the university, and, no doubt, the issues
will create debate. I ask that all of us keep the dialogue civil and
respectful.

Gary Michael
Interim President

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4171F.2D1DA8C0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Message from President Michael</TITLE>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><B><FONT face=3DArial>President Michael Calls for Civility =
</FONT></B></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>A strength of the University of Idaho has been the =

challenging and positive environment in which to learn and grow. As a =
university=20
community, we are facing many difficult choices, and we cannot allow=20
differences, conflict and animosity to destroy this supportive=20
community.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>The UI should be a place where open, thorough and =
sometimes=20
heated debate is integral to learning and decision-making. The rhetoric=20
surrounding the studio arts issue in the College of Letters, Arts and =
Social=20
Sciences, on the other hand, has crossed an unacceptable line. No longer =
are=20
issues the focus; the dialogue, for some, has devolved into personal =
attacks on=20
the administrators who developed the proposal and those who voice =
support.=20
Labeling administrators as &#8220;fascists&#8221; and sending them and =
their family members=20
messages questioning their personal integrity certainly does not advance =

anyone&#8217;s case.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>As colleagues and as students, we share =
responsibility to=20
foster and maintain an environment where controversial issues can be =
openly=20
discussed without intimidation or threat of retribution. To the extent =
these=20
anonymous messages come from faculty and staff, I would remind you of =
the values=20
outlined in the strategic plan regarding civility. More pointedly, I =
would=20
remind you of the university policies in place regarding our individual=20
responsibility to foster a nonviolent workplace environment. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>To the extent these messages come from students, =
please=20
remember that learning the ability to discuss differing opinions without =

resorting to name-calling is an important aspect of a higher education. =
Silence=20
in the face of inappropriate behavior indicates tacit approval. I know =
all of=20
us, including student, faculty and staff leaders, share these=20
concerns.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>I understand the First Amendment rights each of us =
enjoys. I=20
also understand the university policies regarding workplace climate and =
the=20
state laws regarding threatening individuals and defacing public =
property. Open,=20
civil debate is a foundation of a university culture. Personal attacks =
on fellow=20
members of our university community seriously erode that foundation. =
There are=20
difficult decisions ahead for the university, and, no doubt, the issues =
will=20
create debate. I ask that all of us keep the dialogue civil and=20
respectful.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Gary Michael</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3DArial>Interim =

President</FONT> </P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4171F.2D1DA8C0--