[Vision2020] Costs of attendance

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:14:03 -0800

<DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>
<P>There is a difference between affordable and cost. Although your calculations for UI are about $2,000 a year off because you forgot Medical Insurance and Professional Fees that are required to attend UI, I have little doubt that Washington State University has higher fees and tution. However, it is&nbsp;more&nbsp;affordable for an in-state Washington State University Student than it is for an in-state student attending University of Idaho. There are several reasons for this. </P>
<P>First, and most obvious is that while yes, Moscow and Pullman have similar economies, Boise and Seattle do not. Most the in-state students at WSU are from the Settle area. And most the people attending UI are 50 miles or so from Boise or&nbsp;Idaho Falls. Wages in these areas are way different. Seattle is one of the most expensive places to live, Boise one of the cheapest. So parents can afford to pay more being from Seattle, their wages are much higher. Yes, I know, not all students have parents that&nbsp;pay, but at least 3/4 of them do. This is what sets the demand, and thus the price. </P>
<P>Second, there are twice as many scholarships and grants per person&nbsp;from Washington than Idaho. Idaho has very few of them, and the ones that we do get are usually from the Federal Government and not for as much. </P>
<P>Third, there are less state aid programs. We hardly have any welfare programs at all. In Washington if you stub your toe you get benefits galore. In Idaho, you don't get crap. Spokane alone has 120,000 residents, 60K or them are on government aid programs.</P>
<P>Fourth, student jobs are much more abundant and pay better at WSU than UI. An Undergraduate at UI can only at most make $8.15 an hour. That is the law. At WSU, you can make at least $16 an hour. </P>
<P>Fifth, you guys have a lot of services at WSU, more for the money. We don't even have a bowling ally.</P>
<P>Finally, you don't have income tax. We pay out the nose in income tax. </P>
<P>It is &nbsp;how affordable it is, not the dollar amount. A Leer Jet is more affordable for Bill Gates than a 2004 Ford Escort is for me. But a Leer jet is far more costly. Please understand this difference. Thank you.</P>
<P>Donovan J Arnold</P>