[Vision2020] Prosecuting Attorney's free ride

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:54:41 EST

-------------------------------1080435281

Visionaries:

Ordinarily, I favor non-incarceration for nonviolent offenders.  It just
makes sense to me.  I believe that restitution and community service are more
likely to produce effective rehabilitation than jail time.  However, a second
offense, particularly in light of a previous conviction for the same type of
crime, is worrisome.  Perhaps Mr. Thompson could share with voters his reasoning on
this case.

I have in the past raised questions about the public defender contracts.
(I'm still working on that project).  It is not the case that P.D.'s work in a
vacuum.  Every case that does not go to trial is as much a favor to the
prosecutor as it is to a public defender. In truth, I tend to have a bias on the P.D.
side of the equation while holding the expectation that the Prosecuting
Attorney will seek justice while concurrently acting the best interest of the people
who elect him/her.

Our current Prosecutor and Deputy Prosecutor have served the people of Latah
County well for over twelve years.  It is a major concern to me that
competition for the office doesn't exist this year.  An election that is not a contest
is flawed from the beginning, and certainly does not represent a democratic
process.  (Mike Crapo illustrates the point.)  It is surprising that on the
local level neither Republicans or Independents had anyone willing to make the
election a matter of voter choice rather than a coronation.  It is my sense that
any county official who begins to "own" her/her office probably ought to be
turned out on principle. And certainly they shouldn't be given a free lunch
ticket for four more years at the public trough.

Rose Huskey
Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.

-------------------------------1080435281

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2737.800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Visionaries:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ordinarily, I favor non-incarceration for nonviolent offenders.&nbsp; I=
t just makes sense to me.&nbsp; I believe&nbsp;that restitution and communit=
y service are more likely to produce effective rehabilitation than jail time=
.&nbsp; However, a second offense, particularly in light of a previous convi=
ction for the same type of crime, is worrisome.&nbsp; Perhaps Mr. Thompson c=
ould share with voters his reasoning on this case.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have in the past raised questions about the public defender contracts=
.&nbsp; (I'm still working on that project).&nbsp; It is not the case that P=
.D.'s work in a vacuum.&nbsp;&nbsp;Every case&nbsp;that does not go to trial=
 is as much a favor to the prosecutor as it is to a public defender.&nbsp;In=
 truth,&nbsp;I tend to&nbsp;have a bias on the P.D. side of the equation whi=
le holding the expectation that the Prosecuting Attorney will&nbsp;seek just=
ice while&nbsp;concurrently&nbsp;acting&nbsp;the best interest of the people=
 who elect him/her.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Our current Prosecutor and&nbsp;Deputy Prosecutor have served the peopl=
e of Latah County well for over twelve years.&nbsp; It is a major concern to=
 me that competition for the office doesn't exist this year.&nbsp;&nbsp;An e=
lection that is not a contest is flawed from the beginning, and certainly do=
es not represent&nbsp;a democratic process.&nbsp; (Mike Crapo illustrates th=
e point.)&nbsp; It is surprising that&nbsp;on the local level neither Republ=
icans or Independents had anyone willing to make the election a matter of vo=
ter choice rather than a coronation.&nbsp; It is my sense that any county of=
ficial who begins to "own" her/her office probably ought to be turned out on=
 principle.&nbsp;And certainly they shouldn't be given a free lunch ticket f=
or four more years at the public trough.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rose Huskey</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZ=
E=3D"12">Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.</FONT></DIV></BODY=