[Vision2020] Partial Response to Jones

Nick Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:52:43 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_AOMRCyo6g8cmYljyQ3bvzg)

After five months I finally have a response from Doug Jones on the
Trinity.  Although he is correct that he does not ever use the word
"monism" in his essay, he cannot say that it "is rather unimportant to my
point."  Monism comes from the Greek "monas," which means "alone, solitary,
single," which has everything to do with his incoherent attack on modern
secularism.  The words "one" or "oneness" appear sixteen times, more than
any other major word in his 5,000-word essay, along with the his synonyms
"unity," "simplicity," and "unitarian." Not only is Jones is attacking
modern and Ancient Asian philosophy as monistic, but mistakenly paints it
as all monistic.

I have to get ready for the Walk Out for the Arts on the UI campus, so I
will continue this response in a later posting.  Also, I'm not limiting
myself to the 400 words that is required for Credenda publication, nor is
this response the final draft that I will give to Jones for that purpose.

For those who want to read my original response to Jones, you can find it
at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.

Nick Gier

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.moscow.com/ngier/home/index.htm
208-883-3360/882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/ift/index.htm

--Boundary_(ID_AOMRCyo6g8cmYljyQ3bvzg)

response from Doug Jones on the Trinity.&nbsp; Although he is correct
that he does not ever use the word “monism” in his essay, he cannot say
that it “is rather unimportant to my point.”&nbsp; Monism comes from the
Greek &quot;monas,&quot; which means “alone, solitary, single,” which has
everything to do with his incoherent attack on modern secularism.&nbsp;
The words “one” or “oneness” appear sixteen times, more than any other
major word in his 5,000-word essay, along with the his synonyms “unity,”
“simplicity,” and “unitarian.” Not only is Jones is attacking modern and
Ancient Asian philosophy as monistic, but mistakenly paints it as all
monistic.<br><br>
I have to get ready for the Walk Out for the Arts on the UI campus, so I
will continue this response in a later posting.&nbsp; Also, I'm not
limiting myself to the 400 words that is required for Credenda
publication, nor is this response the final draft that I will give to
Jones for that purpose.<br><br>
For those who want to read my original response to Jones, you can find it
at
Nick Gier<br><br>
system cannot be discovered by dividing it into its component parts and
studying each part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on
the whole and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true
of our intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of
its various parts.&quot; --Max Planck<br><br>
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho<br>
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843<br>
208-883-3360/882-9212/FAX 885-8950<br>
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO<br>

--Boundary_(ID_AOMRCyo6g8cmYljyQ3bvzg)--