[Vision2020] RE: Golf (was Re: excommunication)

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:23:08 -0800

In part, Amy Smoucha wrote:
"(Carl, I don't give a whig about golf, so your church is outside my
interest area.  But, for the heck of it, do your Bishops wear dresses?)"

Ahhh . . . Ms. Smoucha, I think you just cleared something up for me!  This
is one of those, "Eureka!" moments  :-)

We really shouldn't make light of Carl's Golf Church.  With five years,
sufficient cash, and a handicap of 12.0 or under you can get a PGM
(Professional Golf Management) degree from the UI!  Surely that makes the
worship of golf a loftier pursuit than caring about things like equality,
economics, human rights, and the like!

OK, wait, I don't want to mislead anyone . . . you don't actually get a
degree in PGM, but if you follow the PGM curriculum for 5 years, you can get
a BS (I'm biting my tongue here) in Marketing with a PGM option.  Think I'm
joking?  Check out:
http://www.uidaho.edu/pgm/index.html
"The University of Idaho's Professional Golf Management (PGM) program, a
five year college curriculum for aspiring PGA Professionals, is a structured
educational program endorsed by the PGA of America. . . Our intent is to
prepare students for a successful career in the golf industry through
extensive classroom studies, internship experience, and *player
development*. . . This program consists of three separate, but very
integrated components. In addition to the academic curriculum of a Business
Marketing major and a minimum 16 months of compensated Co-op/Internship
experience, the PGM program incorporates a golf specific component. . .
While in the program, U of I PGM students will complete all three levels of
the PGA's PGM and upon graduation will be eligible for election into the PGA
of America if all requirements are met."
[Note:  emphasis is mine.  SL]

I kid you not.  Be sure to fully explore the site where you'll find, among
other things, that:
"The PGM program at the University of Idaho provides a unique and rewarding
atmosphere, and is designed to attract and educate highly motivated men and
women seeking careers as golf professionals."
and
"The PGA considers the ability to play the game of golf with a high degree
of proficiency as vital for membership. Every PGM student must pass a Player
Ability Test (PAT) in order to gain membership into the PGA of America. . .
PGM students are priority users of the U of I golf course and have exclusive
access to all the amenities our facility offers. Coupled with our intense
player development programs given throughout the year, the U of I PGM
program provides every opportunity for students to improve their golf game."

ROTFLOL . . . yes, a degree curriculum to improve your golf game!!!

The UI can't "afford" to have an *outstanding* press anymore, they are
looking at "outsourcing" services such as printing and duplication to save
money, programs & departments are being (basically) eliminated and combined
willy-nilly, and fine art studies have now been chopped (not to mention the
changes to the Student Rec Center management, administration inappropriately
meddling in faculty affairs, the Boise Place debacle, etc, etc, etc).

However, the worship of golf is alive and well at the UI.  And the UI is
***proud*** of that!

Seems to me the UI is sending out a message loud and clear:  administration,
golf, and athletics are sacred.  Everything (and I do mean *everything*)
else is expendable.

So the worship of golf must be very worthy indeed . . . right?  No *wonder*
I (and much of the community) have been so confused about the UI
administration decisions of late.  Once one knows of the importance of golf
to those in charge, everything else becomes much clearer, doncha think?

Pope Joan, never fear!  I will remain a proud bishop in our Church, in spite
of the fact that Carl's church would clearly be the Right one by UI
standards.  I simply cannot sell my soul to the advancement of golf!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke