[Vision2020] UI Confusion . . . Again

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:51:32 -0800

Well, I remain *hopelessly* confused about the current UI difficulties.  I'm
hoping maybe someone with a better understanding of the issues can help me
understand one aspect.

Back in December, I read in The Daily News that the UI Pritchard Gallery was
about to enter into a new five-year lease agreement to pay monthly rent to
the tune of $3,556 (up $916 per month).

Yet, I understand that a couple of weeks ago, UI Dean Joe Zeller announced a
"decision" to do away with the studio arts program as part of a strategy to
deal with the current fiscal crisis.

What, might I ask, is the purpose of the UI continuing to spend the money on
an art gallery when they've decided that studio arts studies can be
sacrificed???

Note:  I have nothing against the Pritchard Gallery -- I've spent some
wonderful time there.  I think it's a great community resource.

If the study and practice of studio arts aren't worth preserving (a position
with which I *strongly* disagree), then I don't understand how the UI can
justify continuing to maintain an art gallery (at an *increased* cost)
during these tough financial times.

The decision to increase funding for an art gallery while eliminating the
studio arts program *sounds* like a case of the right hand not knowing what
the left hand is planning, but since Dean Zeller was around for both, I
don't think that's the case.  With decisions like this, it's no wonder those
in control of the money (the state legislature) are reluctant to seriously
consider desperately needed increased funding.  Why should they come up with
money to fund the university when such pathetic management decisions
continue?

To me, it looks like a good example of the *extremely poor* decisions that
seem be running rampant among UI administrators.  I'm *still* waiting for
the UI administrative bloat/financial drain to be addressed, but I don't see
that happening.  Good thing I'm not holding my breath!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke