[Vision2020] Blessed be the ties that bind . . .

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:03:40 -0600

Uh-oh.  I don't think I've ever disagreed with Joan.  Must check my meds.

Joan, you correctly deride conservative America's most vocal
spokesfolks--the hype-driven, intellectually bankrupt talk-show types and
commentators, because you want "substantive political debate."  But you
sometimes mix in those who provide that substance, but with whom we
disagree.  Paglia certainly (and Fox-Genovese probably-I'm not caught up
here) provide substantive debate.  They are great folks to read and to
disagree with--they make us really work to refine our ideas, relying not
only on ideology, but logic, facts, and interpretations of events and
culture.  I just don't see how you can dismiss scholars like Paglia in the
same way you dismiss the Rush-Limbaughs of the world.  Yeah I disagree with
Camille (and aint she a tramp), but she's brilliant and knowledgable and
worthy of real debate and consideration.

If we value the world of academia (and want to measure Wilson et al against
its standards) we should also give credit to those within that world with
whom we disagree, if credit is due.

Amy Smoucha