[Vision2020] Calvin was a revolutionary!

Nick Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:48:56 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_IC/xVTf80BZjmHo9gwN/Ig)

Visionaries and Lurkers:

Even though I told me that he was all wet on defining fundamentalism, I
value Ed Sebasta's contribution to this public forum.  He has been an
invaluable source of information about Wilson and his neo-Confederate
associates.  So I thank him once again for giving us a link to Elizabeth
Fox-Genovese's new journal.

Since Mr. and Mrs. Fox-Genovese are widely cited by the neo-Confederates
and NSA has invited her to speak, then we must question once again Wilson's
denials that he is not at all associated with the neo-Confederacy.  Perhaps
one of us should send the distinguished couple a copy of the slavery
booklet and see what they think of it.  I doubt if Wilson will do that himself.

I looked at the contents of "The Journal of the Historical Society" and my
initial impression is that it is a solid professional journal.  With regard
to the recent "history" conference, one article especially caught my
eye.  The theme of the conference appeared to be that good Christians are
reformers, but revolutionaries are agents of the Devil.  So take a look at
what Robert M. Kingdom says about Calvin the Revolutionary:

"In the city-state of Geneva, the community whose history I know best, the
Protestant Reformation ranked as a revolution, and it probably had the
ingredients of revolution in many other areas as well. In Geneva there can
be little doubt that the Protestant Reformation was a full revolution-in
government, in society, and in religion. It led to the destruction of one
type of government and its replacement with a new and radically different
type of government. Before the Reformation, the city of Geneva was the
capital of a large bishopric governed by the prince-bishop with the
assistance of the canons of his cathedral chapter; of certain agents of the
duchy of Savoy, the largest secular power in the area; and, within the
city, of a council of local merchants and lay professionals."

Nick Gier

--Boundary_(ID_IC/xVTf80BZjmHo9gwN/Ig)

Visionaries and Lurkers:<br><br>
Even though I told me that he was all wet on defining fundamentalism, I
value Ed Sebasta's contribution to this public forum.&nbsp; He has been
an invaluable source of information about Wilson and his neo-Confederate
associates.&nbsp; So I thank him once again for giving us a link to
Elizabeth Fox-Genovese's new journal.<br><br>
Since Mr. and Mrs. Fox-Genovese are widely cited by the neo-Confederates
and NSA has invited her to speak, then we must question once again
Wilson's denials that he is not at all associated with the
neo-Confederacy.&nbsp; Perhaps one of us should send the distinguished
couple a copy of the slavery booklet and see what they think of it.&nbsp;
I doubt if Wilson will do that himself.<br><br>
I looked at the contents of &quot;The Journal of the Historical
Society&quot; and my initial impression is that it is a solid
professional journal.&nbsp; With regard to the recent &quot;history&quot;
conference, one article especially caught my eye.&nbsp; The theme of the
conference appeared to be that good Christians are reformers, but
revolutionaries are agents of the Devil.&nbsp; So take a look at what
Robert M. Kingdom says about Calvin the Revolutionary:<br><br>
&quot;In the city-state of Geneva, the community whose history I know
best, the Protestant Reformation ranked as a revolution, and it probably
had the ingredients of revolution in many other areas as well. In Geneva
there can be little doubt that the Protestant Reformation was a <i>full
</i>revolution-in government, in society, and in religion. It led to the
destruction of one type of government and its replacement with a new and
radically different type of government. Before the Reformation, the city
of Geneva was the capital of a large bishopric governed by the
prince-bishop with the assistance of the canons of his cathedral chapter;
of certain agents of the duchy of Savoy, the largest secular power in the
area; and, within the city, of a council of local merchants and lay
professionals.&quot;<br><br>
Nick Gier <br>

--Boundary_(ID_IC/xVTf80BZjmHo9gwN/Ig)--