[Vision2020] Fuel Cells

David Douglas ddouglas@pacsim.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:11:23 -0500

Visionaries,

I asked for some specifics on a very "specific" event Wayne mentioned.

Some emails on this topic seemed to indicate that it was the concept that
really counted.
It was reasonable that businesses would do something like that, so, I would
gather, the specifics shouldn't be important.

Except they are, to me at least.

 True enough that some businesses engage in
	"widespread false misinformation and propaganda."

On the other hand, one should be prepared to support charges
about "stereo-typical" big business behavior contrary to public
good .  If not, how is such a charge different from "widespread
false misinformation and propaganda."?

Yes, businesses act in their own self interest often unethically.  But no
concrete examples were given of buying up a technology to
bury it.  Especially, none even close to the original anecdote.  Just
an appeal to the internet and all the stuff that must be out there.

"A real life example" was finally provided by Wayne:  butter producers
used the government to inhibit the free trade of margarine.  And I don't
dispute
the facts.  It is a true enough example.....of resorting to legislation
to create a market advantage.   Immoral on the part of both the businesses
and the legislators, in my opinion, but, alas, not an example of burying a
technology.
And we see how *well* it worked for the butter producers by the "lack" of
margarine on store shelves to this very day.

Perhaps if the butter producers like the oil consortium had
bought out the margarine producers.  Doh!

It seems to me that people including researchers and greedy businessmen will
generally
know how to optimize their interests.  The butter/butter case is a good
example of that.
Any technology that is a significant threat to, or competitor in, a market
is likely
	a) Worth too much for you to buy in the first place
	b) If sold to you, worth more as a product to be exploited than as a patent
to shelve.

If solar energy were a competitive fuel alternative and you were an oil
industry
executive, where would you spend your next dollar?
a) On a highly complex oil refinery to make gasoline
b) On a relatively simple bank of solar panels and
	a relatively simple electrolysis process?

If you had two raw materials, crude oil and water, would you
a)  sell the crude oil as fuel
b)  make fuel out of water and sell the crude as raw material to the
chemical
	manufacturers.

The world is full of clueless people, businessmen included, so there may be
a viable
technology gathering dust somewhere.  Maybe even solar energy.  But not by
any infor-
mation I've seen here.  For all the emphasis lately on research,
facts, and logic, when it comes to providing any hard data on "buried" solar
cell
technology, they've all gone missing...and don't seem to be missed.

Best,

David Douglas

Troy, David, Tom

Here's a real life example from an old codger.

When I lived in Minnesota in the early 60's, you could not buy colored
margarine!  (I never buy margarine anyway.)

For years the dairy industry in Minnesota prevented margarine from being
sold at all.  When it was legalized it could only be sold uncolored although
a coloring packet was sometimes enclosed with the margarine.

W.