[Vision2020] Fuel Cells

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:15:47 -0800

The problem with hydrogen as a fuel (as the story alludes to) is that there
are no hydrogen wells in nature. Hydrogen exists on earth bound with other
elements, and it takes energy to separate it. Most of the first generation
ideas are to manufacture it from petroleum--so don't sell your oil tanker
stock just yet. Currently, 96% of hydrogen production comes from fossil
fuels, an 4% from electrolysis.

The atomic energy folks are promoting nuclear reactors to separate hydrogen
from water.  INEEL just got $1.2 billion for a new reactor to test the
concept.

Ron Force          Moscow ID USA
rforce@moscow.com

Changing subjects,  I thought that this was a very interesting article on
hydrogen fuel cells.  Now if I could figure out which of the eventual
start-ups with survive the process, I'll dump my oil tanker stock.

The technology is promising (mostly over-promised to date) but since oil
prices won't be down any time soon, there is a significant incentive to
hasten development.

Cheers,

Paul Duffau

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040309.gthydrogenmar9/B