[Vision2020] Why Christians don't reason well (serious)

Captain Kirker captainkirker@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:01:28 +0000

Visionheads:

Bob Dickow, troublemaker, echoes Plato’s well-known question: “You say God
is All Powerful, so can God then create a Rock that even He cannot lift?”

To which I reply, “Yes, but I don’t think He’s that stupid.”

I remain, very truly, the Captain at your service.

>From: "Robert Dickow" <dickow@uidaho.edu>
>To: <vision2020@moscow.com>
>Subject: [Vision2020] Why Christians don't reason well (serious)
>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:52:49 -0800
>
>Reminder:
>
>It seems that many devout/fervent Christians (and, to be fair, sometimes
>non-Christians) in many denominations have difficulty using--or refuse to
>use-- standard reasoning. One reason they do this is that doing so can be a
>way of demonstrating to themselves and others the astounding superiority
>and
>awesome power of Faith over Reason. You see, if you steadfastly stonewall a
>rational line of argument, Reason in effect loses the argument every time,
>without ambiguity or doubt.
>
>Plato: "You say God is All Powerful, so can God then create a Rock that
>even
>He cannot lift?"
>
>Aloysius: "Yes! Of course, God is ALL POWERFUL, like I said."
>
>Plato: "But then, He is NOT all powerful--if He cannot lift the stone He
>himself has created."
>
>Aloysius: "...Nonsense! God can do anything, therefore he can do anything."
>
>Plato: "You missed a capital."
>
>Aloysius: "He can do anything."
>
>It is virtually impossible to convince people who place so much faith in
>Faith. For the faithful, the FACTS simply do NOT matter. May God have mercy
>on their heathen souls.
>
>Bob Dickow, troublemaker.

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/